pop goes the ...........well you know.

trz

well.....to be completely honest, I never really tried a dye treatment on birdseye. Birdseye will certainly be enhanced greatly by a couple coats of oil before topcoating and that is a form of "popping" the grain. How will it respond to a dye treatment to aggressively enhance the visual impact? You might want to test it out first. I have no doubt it will have some effect, but I'm not sure how nice it will look.

With a piece like you have there, a nice oil-based finish will really bring out the beauty and you won't need to mess with dyes.

I am curious though if anyone else has used the dye grain popping method on birdseye and what the results were. Moving this to the finishing forum for greater exposure.

Nice peice and chops saw too. Somebody, can't remember who, built a hallway/ console table in the 'critique room' and I am pretty sure he popped the Birdseye maple. I remember the thread being lengthy so check it out. Going there in a few and if I find it I will let you know here.

I pooped the grain on "my first table" (curly maple) using Transtint vintage maple and Arm-r-seal.... hey, I do shat Marc tells us!

Brian , I'm sorry to hear you 'pooped' the grain on your project, hope you were able to clean it up so it looked alright.

I think you'll be fine with an oil based finish, or an oil pop under waterbase.

The real worry with a board like that is surfacing. Most planers will tear out the eyes. You'll need to either sand the face to final thickness or hand plane at a high angle.

Not to worry,, changed the knives on the planer and all is good.

Here is the method I used on my guitar, and it is on figured maple to boot! It goes a lot farther than just popping the grain, but the first part of the vid should give you what you need. It uses water based dyes.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/skillsandtechniques/skillsandtechniquesarticle.aspx?id=30182

As always, try it on a a scrap piece first to get your technique down.

I've planed some birds eye and another thing to add is that spraying the piece with mineral spirits before I put it into the planer helped reduce tear out tremendously-- no clue why

There were no lasting negative effects on my planer or blades as far as I could tell.

Lawrence