Spiders.

ialamont22312

This might be a strange topic but i have a problem with spiders in my garage. I find that when I leave my shop there are a few webs around but when I come back in the morning there are a lot more there. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on getting rid or the spiders.

I'm open to try any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Interesting enough, if they are making nice webs, most likely they are helping you keep down the insect population. Venomous (they bad guys that hurt ya) do not make pretty symetrical webs. Having said that, I do no like walking into webs either...yuk

Your typical spider is pretty delicate, so it may not survive the cyclonic action of the vacuum, but that really depends on the spider. the bigger issue is if it's carrying eggs or if you vacuum up an egg sac, that wouldn't be good.

When I had a similar situation at an old place, the common answer I got was 'kill their food source,' thus keep bugs out of there. But easier said than done in a garage.

My sister once found some obscure facts that supposedly works to keep spiders out. The one that sticks out in my head was eucalyptus. It seems to have a scent that drives the spiders away. (Maybe our "Southern Buddies" can provide some verification of this? I've never noticed how effective it is... particularly since her favorite obscure fact usually revolves around some male relative squishing it and removing it from her presence before we can test the plant's effectiveness....)

I work in my garage and I use the ortho home defense stuff. Spay it around the base every couple months and no more spiders. Before I used it I had wolf spiders as big as a fist.

As someone said above - kill the food source.

Also do you leave a light on at night? And do you have a lot of moths? They are super thick here this year. Could also account for increased spiders.

My sister once found some obscure facts that supposedly works to keep spiders out. The one that sticks out in my head was eucalyptus. It seems to have a scent that drives the spiders away. (Maybe our "Southern Buddies" can provide some verification of this? I've never noticed how effective it is... particularly since her favorite obscure fact usually revolves around some male relative squishing it and removing it from her presence before we can test the plant's effectiveness....)

I live in the blue mountains near Sydney, Australia and the blue mountains funnel Web is abundant. Did I mention the main trees up here are eucalypts?

Sorry, a link to my little mates who sometimes wander into my home a well. http://www.anoble.co...rs/SpiderID.htm

You Aussies live in the land of danger. So many murderous critters, small and large. I quote Randy Newman:

In America

you get food to eat

don't have to run through the jungle

and scuff up your feet

ain't no lion and tiger

ain't no mamba snake

just the sweet watermelon

and the buckwheat cake

I'm happy to live in a place that has very few venomous critters. I have Bullsnakes on the property, so no Rattlesnakes. We have Black Widow spiders and Hobo Spiders. I've never seen the Hobo Spider, but it can be aggressive. The Black Widows aren't normally aggressive.

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem I have is with black widows, although the last brown recluse bite I got took a year to heal. I try to blow the shop out weekly and take down any cobwebs with a broom. Spray for bugs when necessary, and that typically keeps the problem at bay .... Leather shoes are a must, however ... And no shoe and/or clothing storage in the shop.

I try to leave the geckos alone however .... They are kind of cute

1-"I don't like Spiders and Snaaaakes..." Let the Lord call all of them home! Snakes usually bite when stepped on or think they're cornered. Even then it's sometimes a 'dry bite' with no venom. Brown Recluse and others just hand you the venom bomb. Dustin Hoffman in the movie "Hook"..."killem'.....killem' all"

2-Raid - Wal Mart - Gallon Jug with battery operated sprayer $11.95 - air strike -all the cracks and crevices - resident spider=dead...immigrant spider THINKING about taking up residence say 'no buddy'

3-Johnny....nursery rhymes....think about "Rock-a-by baby in the tree top"....mom - "HEY MORON!!! What are you doing with my baby in the top of that tree?!?!? When the wind blows the cradle will rock - "YOU TOOK THE CRADLE UP THERE TOO????" .....cradle will fall...."BETTER NOT!!!" down will come baby cradle and all.....mom says, "THE FALL HAD BETTER KILL YA!!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, for some reason I have a serious Black Widow problem myself. I am currently cleaning out my shop, and spraying everything with a Home Defense Spray that leaves a little oil residue behind. This would not be that great in the up stairs, but in the shop it works pretty good. When I say I have a Black Widow problem, I moved about 30 peices of lumber the other day, and killed probably a dozen or more on them. One of them was the size of a quarter!! That is big for a Black Widow. As far as I know I have never found a Brown Recluse! I would not want to fog due to it getting into the living area of the house.

I've been following this thread and been reluctant to post because my relationship with spiders is unusual to say the least and contrary to most people's experiences with our arachnid friends. I love spiders and actually get excited when I find one, two, three or more. Yeah, I know I need help.

Living in New England makes it a bit easier for me to be a spider fan. I've never had to come face-to-face with a Black Widow or a Brown Recluse, but I have had several pet Tarantulas over the years - great pets, nice and cuddlie. On the other hand, having to go through what Barry did with his Brown Recluse encounter would probably force me to rethink my affection for all spiders.

Nevertheless, they're great predators for keeping other pests under control - the one insect I cannot stand are centipedes. I never use pesticides because I don't want to kill the spiders. In fact, when I find a spider in the shop it's gets the red carpet treatment.

Not that anyone needed further confirmation that I'm weird, but I just thought I would share... :blink: