Crib/Full Bed

jrush25

This is the crib that I made for my oldest. It is made from Red Oak aquired from a local lumber mill. The back of the crib has mortis and tennon frame, and I pegged the tennons. The slats are set in an channel with spacers inbetween, spaced below industry safety standards. The sides were attached to the back by four lag bolts each. In retrospect, I wished I had used treaded insertsand bolts insted of the lag bolts. The gate was a dropped down locking gate. I stained it to even the color and finished it with Deft. Sanding and Fisnishing is not my favorite thing to do so I go with what gives me a nice finish easily.

Converting the crib to a full sized bed, I removed the sides and stored them, removed the gate hardware and made new rails for the mattresses. The gate got a new set of legs/post. I inserted bolt thread inserts into the ends of the gate and bolted the legs on. Then added a top rail on top to finish the "Now" foot board. Final touches was to add false tennons to cover up the bolt holes on the head boards that held on the sides of the crib and add false tennons to the foot board to hide the bolts the holds the legs onto the crib's gate.

Both piece turned out to be great. Let me know what you think about these.

Thanks

Joe

post-7054-0-86626300-1338614031_thumb.jp

post-7054-0-23293100-1338614133_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...