US "porkchop" versus European style jointer guards - safety

Is there any advantage to either of the two types of safety guards, the "porkchop" shaped jointer guard found on most jointers in the US versus the European style guard? I am planning on purchasing a 8" jointer to help face plane stock prior to running it through a thickness planner and have only used a jointer for edges. I believe that jointing the face of a board poses a greater risk of hand injury and I have read about horrific amputation injuries from older jointer machines which used a square shaped rather than round cutter head. Is it any easier to use push blocks with one style over the other?

Thanks.

Personally, I think the Euro style is safer because it doesn't allow your hands over the blade, but I'm used to the pork chop style. Just use push blocks and keep you hands out of harm's way.

(null)

I'm a fan of the pork chop....the Euro style requires that you take a hand off the work piece in order to make the cut.

But in all honesty I don't think it really matters and it all boils down to personal preference. If you utilize safe shop habits and use the proper safety equipment either one gets the job done.