New shop in Fire House

ffd95

Greetings all. I just closed on an old fire station, and wanting to use half of the bay for a wood shop. The concrete is not level in this area, and I'm wanting to build a wood subfloor in the shop area. I'm wanting to run the electric in the floor along with the dust collection.

The thing I'm wondering about is will this cause any issues with the machines? Vibrations, etc. I plan on using 2x6 lumber and having 4x4 supports every couple of feet to support the weight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brad Doyle

Belleville, IL

Hi Brad, I'm just across the river in St.Louis. My father's family is from Belleville. That sounds like a great idea for a shop. What dust collection are you going to use? Most dust collection systems work the best with as large as possible piping and how long of a run will you use? Ideally I think you'd want a 6" main line and branch to 4". I do this with mine but it is overhead. If you can spare the headroom, you might want to consider this for your flooring.

Dave in Oz did something similar with his floor being out of level. Hopefully he'll chime in here for you.

I'm on a crawl space with a 1 1/8" floor, 24" on center. I would go with 16" OC. That should be fine regarding vibration. I've done a pier under my heaviest machine. I agree with a larger space for duct work. You need at least 6".

(null)

I'm going to second the request for before pictures. I'm a sucker for an old firehouse.

tex forgot about the pole thought i would help him out by posting his opinion that you need a pole oh and a Dalmatian..............and a hat. Yep tex really thinks you should have a fireman’s helmet

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_3713_bullard_traditional_fire_helmet_matte_finish_w_ess_iz2_goggles_flip_down_eyeshields_nfpa/ 10 percent discount

(sorry no help but hell its a kids dream to own his own firestation and a pet giraffe ) P.S. anyone want to buy a house broken giraffe?

Ok, I'm a firefighter in the next town over, so I've already have a collection of fire stuff. And yes, the two original brass poles are still in place. The place needs lots of work, but one thing I have is time. I'm not moving in till the place is done. Otherwise I will never finish it the way it was meant to be. There's a sauna in the basement. I'm thinking that would be a great place to dry wood. hahahaha

I have plenty of head space, so I may run the dust collection overhead. I'll post pictures when I get some this weekend. Thanks for all the advice.