Lubrication of bandsaw bearings

Dave H

You'll eventually have to replace that bearing. I've had mixed results trying to relubricate bearings. Is it a shielded or sealed bearing? If shielded, you can spray some WD40 around the outer and inner perimeters of the shield and it will wick into the race area. However, this is really not good for the bearing and will cause it to have additional play. It will get you by but only short term. If it is a sealed bearing, the only way is to remove the seal in which case the bearing will be wide open to the elements and really get bad fast since you can't replace the seal.

guide bearings. So the question was what do you use? Besides WD40 as that is what I have, and where did you get this product. I can buy new bearing, and replace them I work on all my own machines I'm just trying to extend the life of these bearings a little longer before I pull the trigger on new ones.

If the bearings are sealed (most I've seen are) then replace it; I had one seize on me with no warning. It fell apart and fell between the guide bearing posts and the blade. Blade lost. Blade cost heckuvalot more than that bearing. I bought full set of replacements from McMaster-Carr. I got Japanese-made sealed bearings for my Rikon 14" back when I had it. Hmm, I actually have the replacement Resaw King blade for it (3/4") with exactly 4 cuts on it... need to make a classified...

Thanks Onboard, and Paul the bearing hasn't seized it just wasn't spinning freely the reason I noticed it was the squeaking theres only one that wasn't spinning freely the bearings aren't sealed I sprayed the offending bearing with, you guessed it WD40 now it's spinning freely. sounds like I need to buy a new set of bearings. Isn't there a spray lubricant for router bit bearings seems I heard of something like that, and if so would that work for maintanence on the old bandsaw?

Oh I know you meant it hadn't seized yet, but if it does, the cost can be more than simply replacing it now. Also, WD40 is a water displacer not a lubricant. It makes things seem lubricated until it flashes off. Tool and instrument oil is what you're thinking of for the bearings. That link is just to show the product; it's way backordered at Amazon, but I think Highland has it, too.

I had the same problem with the guide bearings on my grizzly bandsaw. At first they squealed and later they seized. Fortunately, I caught it before they damaged the blade.

I priced replacements from Grizzly and they were over $9 each. There are 10 bearings in the guides in two sizes. Part of the problem was that they had metal seals. Grizzly admitted that rubber seals would be better in keeping out the fine sawdust. The replacement parts would be rubber.

I found replacement bearings on the web at www.vxb.com. The total cost was $20 for the 10 bearings including shipping.

I don't know if you have the same bandsaw (Grizzly G0513X2) but if you did, the part numbers are Kit484 and Kit8498.

WD-40 is not a very good lubricant. But it is a good cleaner, and will remove any grease you had left in the bearing. You need new bearings. Trust me, I made bearings for a living.

You can re pack bearings with grease, but you usually only do it with open bearings (I have done hundreds of tapered roller wheel bearings in my time, the old fashion way, by hand). By the time you buy new seals, the grease, and your time, you as well just buy new bearings if they are sealed type.

• 11 years later...

If you're still having trouble freeing up the bearing, you may need to replace it. 

Here are some tips for freeing up a bearing with WD-40:

1. Spray the WD-40 onto the bearing and let it sit for a few minutes.
  2. Use a breaker bar or wrench to try to turn the bearing.
  3. If the bearing is still stuck, you can try using a heat gun or torch to warm it up.
  4. Once the bearing is warm, try to turn it again.
  5. If the bearing is still stuck, you may need to replace it.