Sideboard / bookshelf

splinna

Hi,

I am looking for some design critique/suggestions. I have large bare wall in a the master bedroom that my wife says "needs something", her only suggestion was "maybe a bookshelf or something"... So I came up with a sort of sideboard bookshelf hybrid and I am trying to match the feel of some night stands that I made previously... Attached is the sketchup of what I have so far showing it in place against a mock up of the wall (to scale) I am filling... My biggest sticking point is the inclusion of the book shelf. I think its close, but not quite soup yet but I am not quite sure why. Just one of those feelings. I also attached a pic of the nite stands so you can see the design elements I am trying to work with... I can add more detailed sketchup images as needed.

Thanks!

Steve

post-6315-0-01775300-1342646033_thumb.jp

post-6315-0-34179600-1342646107_thumb.jp

I like that a lot as is.

Perhaps what's missing, though, is some sort of visual (and structural, too, actually) support for that long lower shelf. On the nightstand that's not an issue because the shelf is so short. But on the larger piece, somehow the shelf looks (and maybe is) a little on the flimsy side.

What if you add a lenghwise support under the shelf that echoes the table apron? Maybe with a similar curve, but maybe a little narrower than the apron that supports the table top?

-- Russ

Thank you for the feedback Russ! You know, I thought about this as well, and the issue it brought me to was the changes that I would have to make on the lower side stretchers between the legs to let that support run into... I would have to make that taller, and then to keep my proportions, I would have to make the apron pieces taller as well, and then I would have to lower the shelf to keep my clearance for books... Like pulling a string on your favorite sweater! :-)

I added the two verticals in the middle hoping they would both serve as a visual cue that this was for books, as well as a way to "support" the long shelf from above rather than below.

Maybe it's these 4 vertical panels that are bothering me the most still. But I agree, that long lower shelf needs some sort of support, especially if its loaded with 60 lbs of books.

If you add an edge to the shelf that matches the crossbars at the ends and slightly arc the bottom of it to the shelf thickness in the middle plus attach the 2 center verticals so they will take a load under tension it should work. I would put the shelf edge on both sides so the piece could be symmetrical and used free-standing.

Every time I build something to fit a very specific location it limits the future use if conditions or placement has to change.

Sometimes I draw a piece like this full size on 1/4 MDF, cut to the outside profile and look at it in place before committing valuable time and materials