Very Large Coffee Table

suiciedchild

Wanted to get some opinions on a table i recently completed. Back story first, original coffee table that i built had a hidden compartment and the top slid to the side from a latch inside the drawer, that table was for a long time friend. Earlier this year one of his friends asked me to build a table ( makeing this my 2nd table ever) that had a compartment as well. But this time i wasn't as limited with materials, the last table was made with a box of hardwood flooring. He also included that he wanted me to use something I may not have the oppurtunity to use normally. Also, it needed to be larger than a standard coffee table, he has a large sectional and it needed to be equally oversized.

I went through Darrel Peart's book, watched tons of videos ( mostly Marc's) consulted numerous threads on this forum and read everything i coould about the Greene and Greene style. Some sketches and and a few beers later and the overall look was decided. Green and Green style, genuine mahogany and of course ebony plugs.

Being this was one of my first times to and actuall lumber dealer , it was a little overwhelming. armed with a cut list and a piece of chalk I jumped in head first.

first thing I learned, getting a deposit for just over what you need for materials isn't a good idea, I originally budgeted approx $320 for materials , $410 later, i learned something.

Well basically I tried to build something that looked as true to the Greene and Greene style as I could , I'm still pretty limited with my skill and tool sets. This is only the 2nd table ive built and easily the largest anything I've built.

Dimensions, 30" h x 2'11" d x 4'6" . Now before everyone points out how big it is, I know. I tried numerous times to convince him for it to be smaller or at least shorter, but , he insisted.

014.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

008.jpg

0052.jpg

007-1.jpg

The last thing I do at the end of every session is write down the next 3-4 steps I planned to do on the pad.

Sometimes at the very beginning of a project I even take the trouble to make a list of all of the steps. I find that I'm almost always more productive if I've done that. Sometimes making the list helps me see that one sequence of steps might be better than another, perhaps because it lets me make a bunch of identical cuts without disturbing a machine setup. I also get a perverse thrill from checking off the items on my list as I complete them, but that's just me. "Hello, my name is Russell and I'm a listoholic ..."

-- Russ