Flatten with #7 or straight to Planer

The planer makes the planed face parallel to the reference face. If you are uncertain about a decent reference surface, then running the stick though the planer will transfer reference surface issues. Have you taken a set of winding sticks to one face to verify that it is flat, straight and true?

That's the key, is the face square to the edges. If it is, the face seems flat enough to take to the planer. But, as hhh says, I'd use some winding sticks and a long straight edge to make sure the reference face is perpendicular to the edge and flat.

The planer makes the planed face parallel to the reference face. If you are uncertain about a decent reference surface, then running the stick though the planer will transfer reference surface issues. Have you taken a set of winding sticks to one face to verify that it is flat, straight and true?

Not yet. Need to get some winding sticks... I also asked this question because I don't have any long hand planes like a #5 or #7.

Neither. Take it to the jointer.

6" jointer here... not wide enough.

make yourself some winding sticks and see how much work needs to be done...

if not much, get yourself a #7 -- it's one of those tools that you will use over time, you really can't go wrong with adding a #7 to your portfolio.

if it's way out, it may be faster to call around to your local tech school or cabinet shop -- they will normally do a one-off on the jointer, if asked nicely.

as much as i like the router method demonstrated by Marc, I would consider the above two solutions first...

Looks like a lot of work to do entirely by hand.

Welcome to my world. I wish I had a jointer and planer, but the therapeutic advantages of using hand planes seems to have ummmm some value... perhaps. That's what I'm telling myself. :blink:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea for you guys...this is what I am doing. I have a guy that runs a fine lumberyard nearby. When I finish my glue up, I am taking the surfaces to him for jointing then planing. He has a 16" jointer with a helical head and a 24" planer with helical head. He is going to charge me $30 for doing both pieces, provide I help him unload and feed/catch. :-)

This should save me a LOT of time, of which is my most rare commodity.

Not a bad idea Deeptree, but the planer will not solve for any twist that you may have. I took my top to a cabinetshop with a wide belt sander, and it worked beautifully (huge timesaver - a priority for me as well). My glueup was not bad, but not precise. I had some pieces that were 1/32"-to-1/16" off from each other and the belt sander was perfect to take off just the right amount, and get it perfectly flat. My planing skills are not there yet - I most certainly would have taken off more than I should have. Also, when I milled my boards, I was not at the desired 4" thick, and the sanding just took off the absolute minimum needed. My finished thickness was 3 5/8", and only required minimal adjustment from the plans to install the end vice.

Good luck!