Plywood

mds2

So I just got a great deal on some 3/4" a-c plywood, $100 for 6 sheets. I usually avoid large sheets because they are a pain for me to move around. Can anyone give me some tips on handling them? I herniated a disk in my back a few months ago and I REALLY dont want that to happen again.

Looks like tonight I will be rearranging the shop so I'll have some place to put them.

Lift with your legs and use pivot points to raise, lower or turn the sheets. I worked for FedEx for 16 yrs. with disc in the lower back that sit forward too far. Proper technique works. Also, keep your core in shape.

+1 to Vic's recommendation. I worked for a courier company for 7 yrs in my early 20s, after a crushed disc injury to my lower back as a teen, and lifted/delivered 50-75lb tubs on a daily basis. The only way my back survived was through proper technique.

Lift with your legs and use pivot points to raise, lower or turn the sheets. I worked for FedEx for 16 yrs. with disc in the lower back that sit forward too far. Proper technique works. Also, keep your core in shape.

What do you mean by pivot points?

where are you moving them, into a ground level shop, basement shop, or upper level shop? If your on a ground level shop you can rent a sheet rock cart, you can load 4/5 sheets at a time then roll them to their final destination. Basement shop, or upper level shop get help stairs will kick your butt, its a very akward lift by yourself. Like has been said before if you know what your cut lists are going to be set up a good set of saw horses, and buzz them up with a skill saw and staight edge. Good luck Dave

there's also that plan out there (don't remember which magazine had it) for a 2 wheeled plywood handler... basically a pair of casters mounted in-line along a small platform and a long (3 foot?) handle that the plywood leans against.

where are you moving them, into a ground level shop, basement shop, or upper level shop? If your on a ground level shop you can rent a sheet rock cart, you can load 4/5 sheets at a time then roll them to their final destination. Basement shop, or upper level shop get help stairs will kick your butt, its a very akward lift by yourself. Like has been said before if you know what your cut lists are going to be set up a good set of saw horses, and buzz them up with a skill saw and staight edge. Good luck Dave

My shop is my garage, so I wont have to move them very far. My brother in law is going to help me load and unload them, so that wont really be a problem. I made a spot for them near the end of my workbench, so I should be able to just slide them out and lay them right down onto it. My bench/outfeed table is 4'x7', so I'll just lay them on there and then throw a couple 2x4's underneath when I go to break them down.

I was going to make a cutting guide for my skil saw, but has anyone used Kreg's new Rip Cut? It seems like the first reasonably priced item from them, but I'm curious if it is worth a crap??

I've been useing this jig since I was an apprentice carpenter and some old timer showed me it. It's very simple really and you might say a poor mans track saw, you can make it out plywood, but being a cheapskate that i am I make mine out of OSB. With your skill saw cut 3 1/2" off a sheet of OSB or ply your need to cut this off of the factory edge than cut a rip off of the remander of the sheet about 8" screw, glue, or nail the 3 1/2" to the 8" rip use screw s that don't protrude through the two pieces like 3/4" for two piecws of OSB. run your skill saw edge against the the factory edge of the 3 1/2" rip cutting off the excess of the 8" rip. and you will have something that looks like this post-2926-0-21377300-1305825414_thumb.jpgpost-2926-0-74072000-1305825391_thumb.jpg the edge of the jig is the exact edge of the cut clamp this jig to whatever you want a perfectly straight cut on. hope this makes sense.

I usually avoid large sheets because they are a pain for me to move around. Can anyone give me some tips on handling them? I herniated a disk in my back a few months ago and I REALLY dont want that to happen again.

Some plywood sheet carrying aids.

A wheeled carrier including drawing & dimensions. See pdf at end of article.

Video on how to hand carry a plywood sheet.

How to construct a handle for carrying a plywood sheet.

Wheeled sheet carrier.

Another hand sheet carrier.

The only tool I can think of:

http://gorillagripper.com/

I myself have a lot of problems, especially with the 3/4 MDF. I will probably get one, one of these day.

Demo at 8:35

http://www.thewoodwh...009-tool-demos/

I use the gorilla gripper... This is a great tool for an older person. While not making the load any lighter, it sure does make it easier to handle those big sheets. I've used it for plywood, mdf, drywall, etc.

I call my nephews when I need them carried down to my shop :)