Spokeshave Advice

tim0625

I do not do a lot of hand tool work...I know "Booooo"....but I AM trying to do more and learn....I'm to the point that sometimes, I need a spokeshave(s?).

Why would I:

1-Buy a flat, curved, convex, concave, or half round?

2-Buy a certain brand....is there a big quality difference?

3-Is price a true indicator or what you're getting? Stanley, Steelex, Kunz, and Wood River - from $16-$51

Thanks for the input

Tim

Having just gone through this myself...

#1: It depends entirely on what you're doing. A flat spokeshave can do gentle, sweeping curves, but you'll need a convex-bottom spokeshave to do tight inside curves. As far as the half round, sure - if you're doing a lot of spokes or dowels, I can see it being helpful. Consider the Veritas low-angle spokeshave, since by flipping the fence you can get both a flat and a round-bottom spokeshave.

#2/3: Yes and yes. I own a Kunz flat bottom spokeshave. It took a ton of experimentation and decent amount of work to get it working "right."

I also bought a low-angle spokeshave from WoodRiver as an experiment. While it's pretty nice, it's NOT a substitute for the Veritas. Out of the box, the fence isn't useful reversed, so it can't double as a round-bottom shave (I'm making a replacement fence out of scrap jatoba). Additionally, I can see a few places in the construction of the tool that could be improved. It still happens to work for my purposes, but I was tempted to return it and pay extra for the Veritas.

If you visit http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/, there is a video posted about the differences between a WoodRiver and a (I think) Lie Nielsen plane. While it's obviously a different tool, it'll give you an idea of what to expect. For my purposes, a Lie Nielsen is out of my budget. It's worth my time and money to fuss (a little) over a tool. But would I bother with another Kunz? Probably not.

The other thing is, of course, check eBay/Craigslist. I had pretty bad luck with spokeshaves, but I found a nice pre-WW2 Stanley Jack Plane that had been cleaned, flattened and sharpened - $70 after shipping, and it works beautifully.

From my experience, spokeshaves follow the same pattern as regular planes in terms of the general quality/price hierarchy. I have the Veritas Flat and Round spokeshaves. I have yet to need the concave style for my work. Generally speaking, I use the flat spokeshave on square/flat/round surfaces and the round spokeshave on inside curves. In fact I, I used one on the legs of the sculpted step stool project recently: http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/sitting-bench-step-stool-pt-1/ Skip to about 19 minutes and you'll see it.

And hopefully you won't find any "booos" here. It's all woodworking no matter what tool you use to do it. :)

Thanks guys....good info. No Marc, just kidding, never got any boos here. It's funny though how we are all at different levels. I'm sure some of my Neanderthal brethren must smile at some of the questions that I ask from time to time but hey, I think we all 'get it' here and everyone is helpful. My entire Woodtalkonline experience is positive....if fact, I'll go as far as saying this....my detached two car garage was at one time a junk hole with a couple of paths that I could get through - sort of. As a result of going to thewoodwhisperer.com and seeing all of the shops there and from the inspiration I've drawn from this site, I made a quality decision to turn my junk hole into a shop. My friend Scott volunteered, my wife, 2 of my kids and 1 of their friends all helped me one Sat and Sun haul out EVERYTHING...organize and de-junk. It was terrible. I threw away and donated so much junk. I'm not where I want to be yet but my garage is now a shop and usable. It still has to store some household things but I can honestly say it's now a woodworking shop - an escape from crazy - a place to think and to work with my hands and produce things my kids and grand kids will value and I'm thankful both to you and all the contributors to these two sites. You guys have all had a big part - and that's just so far!!!

Thank you!

Tim

And now...I must embark on another day in the insurance business....hold my juice box....I'm going in.

For most of us, the flat bottom shave is all you will ever need. Add a round bottom and you will cover 100%. The Veritas model is a great compromise with the reversible fence. I do find that the low angle shaves can be a picky finicky when you want a fine, smoothing cut. It is very possible but requires more futzing to get it right. This is why I bought a Lie Nielsen with a sole (same as Stanleys, Veritas, etc) and this allows me to dial in a super fine cut for smoothing work. The concave and convex shaves address a very specific use and these tasks can be accomplished by other tools. More specifically the so called "rounding" shaves (concave) bring up more problems than they solve because the blade is cutting 180 degrees of a circle and therefore will cut against the grain on one side and with on the other. Usually these take more of a scraping cut to deal with that but they must be kept very sharp and set fine else you will tear up your wood. The same thing can be accomplished with a flat bottom shave. You will end up with some facets but I believe this adds to the piece by causing light to reflect differently and creating that hand made texture that is so desirable.

Long story short (too late) get a flat bottom shave, get the best you can afford, and have fun

I imagine it's just me, but I find the Veritas low-angle spoke shave very, very, hard to use on inside curves, and find the blade somewhat prone to jumping out (even if the edge is roughed up with sandpaper). I wish I had gone with the L-N flat-bottomed, adding a round when I found I really needed it. Of course this is just a theory since I haven't used the L-N.

Cheers,

Brian

For Veritas, LeeValley.com unless you swing by Canada and can visit a store in person.

For the Lie-Nielsen, I usually go to their website to order since the local Woodcraft stopped selling them once the Woodriver clones took over.

Check LN's site for events; there might be an LN Demo Days near you soon where you could try them out and usually buy them at a bit of a discount.

Woodriver clones..... interesting....$50 or so...how do they stack up to the LN in quality? Anyone ever used a Kunz?

Ps Hey Paul...swing by Canada....I hear ya...if I ever get there, I'm probably staying. I've about had my fill of smart phones, smart cars, and smart alecks.....ergonomic keyboards and ego maniacs...and crazy people,,,they are everywhere!! I wrote auto insurance for a guy the other day with 4 1/2 pages of driving violations! Worse than having a driver's license, he has probably produced offspring as crazy as him.

But I digress.....spokeshaves....as I'm reading, am I seeing the LN has a fine adjustment system? If so, do any of the others?....if there is another that's about the same quality, I can do with the no name as long as it performs. Come on Neanderthal Village...help me out. You guys have forgotten more than I know about this...please chime in.

I haven't used a Woodriver spokeshave (not sure they have them). I tried a Woodriver plane when my friend Chris (@FlairWoodworks) bought one to try it out. It's not LN or Veritas, but neither was the price. Overall it performed well with a bit of tinkering. Whether the price savings is more than the level of tinkering required is a personal call.

Canada's a nice place; I could see moving back there.

Rob Cosman had said a while ago that Pinnacle is supposed to release a new spoleshave with an IBC blade (same as Lie Nielsen) late summer or early fall to be sold at Woodcraft and WR has a spokeshave there now as well. This winter I will be at a store so I can see them side by side and play around with them to see which I prefer, then I will buy. I honestly have no concerns about WR planes but not sure if the spokeshaves are in the same boat. I have a WR #5 and love it, I don't have ane Lie Nielsens to compare it to but I do have old Bedrocks with Hock irons and I am very impressed by the WR's. I love vintage tools but honestly for the $'s you may be better off getting a WR. By the time you pay the premium price for a Bedrock (and gamble on what the seller tells you if it is an online transaction) and buy a new iron for it you have already surpassed the cost of a new one and you haven't even broke a sweat lapping and tuning the Bedrock. The only downside is you don't have the history in your hands that tells a story of it's own, thats why I love the old tools, just my personal opinion. When I got my WR I think I spent about 15mn before I was drooling over the shavings and I am sure I could have done it in about 1/3rd or the time if I wanted to.

Tim - As you'll see in my first response, I've used both a Kunz and a Woodriver spokeshave. The Kunz is worthless without a significant amount of tinkering. The Woodriver low-angle spokeshave is nice, but I'm a bit frustrated by the fact that the fence isn't reversible, and that the blade mounting is a little fussy.

• 4 months later...

I have just learned more about spokeshaves in these posts than I have in the past month of searching and looking.

I'm new to this forum.I must say that I am impressed. No keyboard warrior trolls here. It's a refreshing change. just intelligent people who are willing to help others.

I've been interested in woodworking for years. I never really dipped into it because of time, space, and money. I can relate to the fellow here whose garage became a storage area. When I was working the only time my garage was clean was during the Great Flood of 1993. It rained so much that I could not mow my yard so I spent my time cleaning the garage. I was going to let our local Post Office Have it temporarily ( Town of 250 people) when they flooded out but they found a better location.

I'm retired and somewhat disabled now. I became interested in making Hiking Staffs a month or so ago when i was looking for a replacement for my cane. I learned that a spokeshave is a handy tool for this. I did not even know what a spokeshave does. I went to e-bay and and purchased an antique combination flat and curved one for a very good price $19 when I include shippinhg and handling. I've since seen people on e-bay try to sell the same for $40 to $80.

I like the fact that I basically have two spokeshaves in one but to be bluntly honest it's slightly awkward to use. I also need to figure out a good way of sharpening the curved. I am going to try it with a half round metal file. I also have a barbers razor strop for finishing work but I'm afraid to try the curved blade on that for fear or ruining my strop.

In closing I want to thank the posters here for providing this info even though I am not the original poster!

Hey Carl, first post....welcome to the party! I'm an insurance guy and like many, I'm learning a lot from these guys and gals here. It's an informative and safe place to hang out. As I said, I know some just smile at the nubie questions that I and others ask; but hey, the forum is full of people at different levels and no one throws rocks. Aside from hands on, shop time, I've learned a lot just hanging out.

For Veritas, LeeValley.com unless you swing by Canada and can visit a store in person.

If you ever end up in Ottawa definitely go. Bought a flat bottomed Veritas a year ago when I went home. They were having one of their we have all our planes, spokeshaves etc available to try out days. After having used, and basically discarded, one of those cheap Stanley spokes I picked up the Veritas and it was an eye opening experience.

I'll second that thought, Kevin. I bought a Harbor Freight model to learn sharpening on, and the blade curled after one stroke. Bought one from Veritas, and while I'm not making beautiful things with it yet, it's miles away in quality.