8/4 Mahogany, what to build?

dklyons87

I have some 14 ft 8/4 pieces of mahogany that I dont know what to do with. I am a beginner/intermediate woodworker but I dont have a good band saw to resaw these boards. So unless there is another way to resaw, I dont really know what I can build with such thick stock. I got the lumber at a yard sale for less than a dollar a ln ft so it was a great deal. What should I do with it?

==> I have some 14 ft 8/4 pieces of mahogany that I don't know what to do with

how many and what widths? A dining room table was also the 1st thing to come to mind. 8/4 is also a great place to start for table legs, do don't resaw all of your stock.

trestle table base. Gluing the top from multiple boards of any size and thickness is a snap. Finding thick lumber for the mass needed on those parts is slightly harder.

I would also consider something vertical. 8/4 is a nice mass to start sculpting out a lamp or coat rack or a bookcase.

Basically, I would be thinking of projects that might otherwise be prohibitive to buy that size of mahogany.

Mantelpiece ? Dining table would be my first choice . If you have a thin kerf rip blade you can rip 3 to 3 1/2 deep from each edge and finish the cut with a handsaw, it's not that hard to do. A tall accessory fence and a feather board on the tablesaw. Take light cuts, flip the board end for end and cut the other side. A decent sharp handsaw will make quick work of the inch or so left .

Be aware that the wood might warp or twist after re- sawing. Mahogany is usually well behaved but stuff does happen.

• Like 1