shop in garage for now

precisionplus

my dad is an old time contractor and told me it was not a good idea to put the shop in the garage because of the moisture and temp. concerns on the equipment, This is only until i finish the addition. im trying to get all my ducks in a row for this any tips will be great im a new guy and dont want to screw it up before i even get started.

Don't be too concerned about it. Lots of use have our shops in the garage. The two big things to consider are that most garages have no insulation or anything, so whatever the weather is outside is what it's going to be inside, and that hug slab of cement it's based on sucks up a lot of moisture and heat, which can potentially make it wet and cold.

You say you are working on an addition, so if you're just going to be there a short time, don't worry about it other than maybe watch for rust on your tools and be aware that your wood may expand/contract with the weather. If it's permanent, then you'd want to think about things like insulation and proper heating so that it stays at a constant temperature rather than going up and down day and night.

I myself am currently in a completely non-insulated garage in rainy/sunny/cloudy/windy/snowy/hot/cold/take-three-changes-of-clothing-with-you-because-it's-gonna-change-conditions-three-times-a-day Seattle and haven't really had any serious problems, but I'm sure I'd have better results if I had a correctly-made structure.

my dad is an old time contractor and told me it was not a good idea to put the shop in the garage because of the moisture and temp. concerns on the equipment, This is only until i finish the addition. im trying to get all my ducks in a row for this any tips will be great im a new guy and dont want to screw it up before i even get started.

Not really that bad. I had the same issue too. My first suggestion would be to run a dehumidifier or AC to keep the moisture down. Hit your tools with WD-40 or wax depending on the tool. WD-40 on the screws of your clamps, vises, etc. but put wax the tablesaw top because it comes in contact with the wood. Actually you'll have an easy time with dust because you can just blow it out the garage door with a box fan. Keep us posted!

Jack

Not really that bad. I had the same issue too. My first suggestion would be to run a dehumidifier or AC to keep the moisture down. Hit your tools with WD-40 or wax depending on the tool. WD-40 on the screws of your clamps, vises, etc. but put wax the tablesaw top because it comes in contact with the wood. Actually you'll have an easy time with dust because you can just blow it out the garage door with a box fan. Keep us posted!

Jack

Blow out the dust with a box fan??? How about a leaf blower!!! AhAhAh!!!

Don't be too concerned about it. Lots of use have our shops in the garage. The two big things to consider are that most garages have no insulation or anything, so whatever the weather is outside is what it's going to be inside, and that hug slab of cement it's based on sucks up a lot of moisture and heat, which can potentially make it wet and cold.

You say you are working on an addition, so if you're just going to be there a short time, don't worry about it other than maybe watch for rust on your tools and be aware that your wood may expand/contract with the weather. If it's permanent, then you'd want to think about things like insulation and proper heating so that it stays at a constant temperature rather than going up and down day and night.

I myself am currently in a completely non-insulated garage in rainy/sunny/cloudy/windy/snowy/hot/cold/take-three-changes-of-clothing-with-you-because-it's-gonna-change-conditions-three-times-a-day Seattle and haven't really had any serious problems, but I'm sure I'd have better results if I had a correctly-made structure.

Before any insulation, air seal. Think about a jacket. Is is warmer or colder zipped or unzipped. Insulation is secondary, important, but not as much as air sealing.

Before any insulation, air seal. Think about a jacket. Is is warmer or colder zipped or unzipped. Insulation is secondary, important, but not as much as air sealing.

You're right. I was actually thinking of the air sealing as part of the insulation process, like expanding foam filling the holes. But yeah, insulation works by creating a dead air space, so if you've got wind blowing into that insulation constantly changing the air, it's not going to do much good.

Thanks for the clarification :)

A garage is a great place for a shop!

You really shouldn't be too concerned.

Having a shop anywhere has it's own unique set of conditions. Some issues are minor and easily overcome and some can pose larger, harder to solve problems. Most use their garage for a shop and it works out well. Insulating, finishing, heating/cooling, and wiring pose the greatest expenses that I can see(other than the tools themselves).

Having good lighting and an organized workspace now, will make it most enjoyable. Most of the other issues can be taken care of over time as you recognize them and have the funds.