Installing vise - lag screws or bolts?

secutanudu

I have a workbench done, aside from vises and dogholes. It's a 3" top made of doug fir. I have a Wilton 10" vise that will be my front vise. I'd prefer not to have holes drilled all the way through, so would two 2.5" lag screws be enough to hold it long-term?

Or should I bite the bullet and just use bolts?

My other thought was to mount the vise to a larger block of wood (using bolts) then use 4 lag screws to attach that to the benchtop.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

431080_10151061120832561_1359963294_n.jpg

I say put the screws in because that's what you want to do. If they stay tight, you're in good shape. If they don't, then replace them with bolts.

-- Russ

I'm in with Russ's comment. Try the screws first if that's what you want to do. Even thru-bolts can loosen as the top moves with humidity changes.

I would prefer screws, since they wouldn't show from the top. But I am worried about them becoming loose over time.

Andy,

Lag bolts are not through bolts. They are pointed on the end like a screw but have a very large coarse thread and require a socket or wrench to tighten. As MOW mentioned, pre-drill the to match the shank size on the lag bolts. They will not loosen over time.

But, you can use screws if you want too. Just make sure you drive the screws in the back face first so that sits tight against the end of your bench then drive the screws underneath.