Flip-top tool stands

Jersey Jeff

Due to some repair work to my garage, I have a chance to completely reorganize my workshop. Instead of storing my benchtop tools on a long shelf at the back of the garage I was thinking about making a series of rolling flip-top tool stands. But I am concerned that storing some of the tools upside-down for long periods may damage them (Because I live in the Northeast and have a unheated garage, I seldom get a chance to work in the shop from late Nov. through early March). Will storing them inverted for long periods of time hurt them in anyway?

Have any of you had experience using flip-top tables? Have you noticed any problems with your tools after using them? Do you like using them? Anything you would do differently after building yours?

I have the following tools and would like to put them on three or four flip-top stands grouped as you see below:

* 12.5" Delta benchtop planer

* Delta 6" benchtop jointer

* Delta 10" Chopsaw

* Craftsman 16" scrollsaw

* Delta router/shaper table

* RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

* Delta mini lathe

* future purchase

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hey Jeff,

I found a plan for a flip top stand a couple of years ago that I use in my shop and it has served me very well. If memory serves, the plan came from an "additional content" type book that I got from a Shop Notes subscription. I have my Delta lunchbox planer on one side. The other side has been occupied by various other tools since I built it. I have never had any problems with it and would highly recommend it. I'll try to attach a link to a picture of it here. I would make one recommendation after reading your post. Don't put the planer and jointer on the same flip top stand as these two are usually used in tandem and may cause you extra work as you have to flip back and forth between the two if they are on the same stand.

http://bit.ly/RtCMuE

Good luck to you!

I built a small flip top stand for my bench grinder and disc/belt sander. The only things that I notice is that they are cleaner after flipping them. :)

Seriously, some things to take into consideration are.....

Distance from the wall for clearance of the machines as they are flipped and direction to flip them as the power cords will wrap the wrong way and may pull out of the socket.

I solved the wall distance problem by putting my stand on wheels and have to roll it out a bit before flipping. And as I installed an wall outlet box in the lower part of the stand (running the cords between the tool bases) I just have to watch which way I flip the top. Other than that I think it is a great way to save floor/bench space for items not used every day but need to be handy and ready to go in a jiffy.

Rog

• 2 weeks later...

Ninja - that is a great stand. Is that based on a plan from somewhere? Parts of it seem familiar. I'm curious how stable the sides are when you disengage the latches from the top - the only thing holding together would by the pivot points.

Jeff - all good tips above. I don't have any experience yet with them so I am very interested in this thread. On your other question regarding storing tools upside down - I have seen a lot of flip top stand posts, but have never seen any mention of issues like that.

My stand is very much like Ninja's and I'm sure there were plans some place but, I don't remember where, I built mine in '08. As you can see, I added a drawer at the bottom for sanding discs, belts and grinding wheels. And enought open space that I now store my osculating spindle sander down there.

As far as the pivot point, I used 1" dowell and have had no problems as the dowell is in shear and very strong so no problems so far.

IMG_0233.jpg

Rog

Since we're all posting our variants of the stands, I'll post mine, too. I used a pair of pins to lock the rotation; very easy to do... it's a drilled hole! I also intentionally offset the pivot point because in my case, one side has the old SCMS while the other is just another horizontal surface, although I'm tempted to put that Ridgid spindle/belt sander on it, too.

I documented it here: http://www.halfinchshy.com/2010/05/disappearing-miter-saw-stand.html

The video of it is here, though: