Completed my Roubo bench

dustinsmith

Well I'm almost done -- just need to do the final sanding and apply a Danish oil finish. Let's hope I do that I don't keep putting it off!

I went with all soft maple, except for the roller brackets and parallel guide which are hard maple per Marc's suggestions.

All in all, this has been my favorite project I've built so far. It is beefy, expensive, and a pure joy to use. Sometimes I stop by the garage on my way to work just to look at it, and maybe play with the vises a little. I'm hoping that urge goes away after a while!

Dustin

post-7475-0-98766900-1350520780_thumb.jp

What finish are you useing?

I'm going with Watco Danish Oil, based on Marc's recommendations from the original build. He mentioned he was not happy with the finish he used in the video, and that a traditional Danish oil would probably have been better. So, that's the route I'm going to take. Not to mention, Danish oil couldn't be easier/simpler to apply. For a guy like me who hates the finishing process, it's the way to go.

Dustin