Vic

Vic

For those that don't know me, I'm Vic Hubbard. I've been following this "little" enterprise for quite few years. Not only am I indebted to Marc and Nicole for creating all The WoodWhisperer sites for all the knowledge the sites themselves have provided, but also for all the other great resources and people I have come into contact with through them. I started following The WoodWhisperer about the same time I started building my shop. I have a 30x40, very well equipped shop. I'm still building stuff for the shop and soon will be starting my first "real" project for one of my best friends wife. She asked me to build a cradle for their baby that is on the way. My first project is ambitious, as it will involve a coopered panel and off perpendicular dovetailed sides. I'm hoping all the studying and the many hours of construction and remodeling I've done will help me build something they will be proud to pass to their future generations.

In my day job, I am an energy efficiency consultant. For any of you that want to build your shops to have as little impact on your future energy bills as possible, feel free to contact me.

I'm also quite often in the chatroom. There you will find many regulars should you want to bounce an idea quickly or just BS. Many of us stream from our shops and quite a few are very talented. My feed is TumbleWoodworks. I hope to see you there.

Marc, Thanks for the newest site in your Whisperer arsenal. You really have made a great place for all of us to learn.

• 4 weeks later...

In my day job, I am an energy efficiency consultant. For any of you that want to build your shops to have as little impact on your future energy bills as possible, feel free to contact me.

Really!? Somehow I missed that tid bit of information when I read your profile. What was the biggest thing you did for energy efficiency in your shop?

Really!? Somehow I missed that tid bit of information when I read your profile. What was the biggest thing you did for energy efficiency in your shop?

I have the polyurethane spray foam in the walls, R50 in the attic. The entire structure is extremely air sealed. Those were really the only extras I did. I didn't know about ductless heatpumps at the time or I would have installed one over the central HVAC system. But, as my A/C went out this year (I had a cheap $110 tent sale model from a local HVAC dealer), I will be installing one sometime next year. I did NOT use a roll up garage door, but rather a higher end double door, which has much better air sealing qualities and is a little less expensive. If you'd like information on what you can do to make your place more efficient, feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam, I can take pics of the install on the house. But, this is not something I'll do myself. The most critical process, the commissioning (basically a deep vacuum on the line set), requires special gauges that I'm not about to buy for a single installation. But, I can take pics of how things look, if you would like that.

Sam, I can take pics of the install on the house. But, this is not something I'll do myself. The most critical process, the commissioning (basically a deep vacuum on the line set), requires special gauges that I'm not about to buy for a single installation. But, I can take pics of how things look, if you would like that.

That would be great