E-mail Notification

Onboard

When I post a new topic, I assumed that the default settings would send me an email (or other) notification when someone commented on my post. So far this has not happened. What can I set in my settings to make this happen? If it’s not a default setting, it may be why some posters have not replied back to comments added to their post. Of course for those who don’t want this feature, they can go and turn it off, but will need to know where and how.

When I post a new topic, I assumed that the default settings would send me an email (or other) notification when someone commented on my post. So far this has not happened. What can I set in my settings to make this happen? If it’s not a default setting, it may be why some posters have not replied back to comments added to their post. Of course for those who don’t want this feature, they can go and turn it off, but will need to know where and how.

There's a huge list of options here >> http://woodtalkonline.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

Thanks Vic. Yes, and that's the problem. I have all three boxes checked under Topics & Posts. I still don't get email when someone comments on a post I created (an example, this post). So, I guess I'm missing something here.

Just doing some initial digging and I don't think there is a default setting for this. Oddly enough, there is a check box for automatically subscribing you to any topic you reply to. There really should also be one that automatically subscribes you to a post that you create. But I don't see it. The workaround is to simply click the Watch Topic button at the top of the page.

Just doing some initial digging and I don't think there is a default setting for this. Oddly enough, there is a check box for automatically subscribing you to any topic you reply to. There really should also be one that automatically subscribes you to a post that you create. But I don't see it. The workaround is to simply click the Watch Topic button at the top of the page.

Thank you Marc. I'll give that a try. Too bad that can't be a default for a poster. It can always be turned off.

Well, it looks like when you make the post, if you click on the Post Options just under the text box, there is a check box that will subscribe you to the replies. Again, this does seem like it should be a setting that you can flip on and off but I just don't see it in the user options.

For the record though, if it was an option it is not something I would have on by default. I am more of an opt-in person than an opt-out. :)

I also noticed that if someone replies to a post I made by doing the quick reply at the bottom of the page, rather than the teeny tiny reply button in my post, then I don't get a notification. I stumbled across some posts that were direct replies to posts I had made, mentioning me by name, that hadn't generated an email. Hmmm, maybe I'll start searching for my name periodically.

In general I certainly agree, however I think for something as baseline as posting something and then wanting to know who replied to your post would make it a candidate for a default email, with the option to “opt-out” if someone wanted to do it differently. Again, I think that might possibly increase the number of posters that would come back around and let people know they at least appreciated the comments or comment or what the outcome was, etc..

Thanks again.

Go to My Settings then Notification Options. You already have the options checked that you need checked, but you haven't told it to, by default, watch things you create or reply to. Just above the field of check boxes is an item "Watch Every Topic I Reply To" and set the notification there. I had that on initially and got email of all replies. You can manage the topics that generate notifications by using the next section down in My Settings (Your Notifications).

So turning on the notifications to replies DOES automatically subscribe you to your own posts? They sure don't make that clear if that's the case. I don't have it checked so I haven't been able to confirm.

At least I got email about everything I posted. Dunno turned off that feature awhile ago.

The question now is whether you can then turn OFF the automatic reply notifications. For instance someone wants to get notifications for replies on their own posts, but they don't necessarily want notifications for every post they happen to reply to. I think you probably could configure that with the settings under Topics & Posts.

Go to My Settings then Notification Options. You already have the options checked that you need checked, but you haven't told it to, by default, watch things you create or reply to. Just above the field of check boxes is an item "Watch Every Topic I Reply To" and set the notification there. I had that on initially and got email of all replies. You can manage the topics that generate notifications by using the next section down in My Settings (Your Notifications).

Thanks much Paul-Marcel. I've set the changes and will see how it goes.

No problemo. Basically it acts like the "Watch This Topic" button at the top of the page the first time you post to the thread. You can click it again later to stop watching like when we get on ludicrous tangents.

Also, note that by default there is a delay before it mails you so if you see a reply to a thread you should have received a notification, check the timestamp as it might be "too fresh". One setting choice will let you get them immediately. Now, why does "too fresh" remind me of my uncle's dairy farm...