Moving new jointer into shop

Kenny McCarty

So I just received my new 8" jointer and was wondering how you guys get these placed into your shops...it is currently sitting just outside the door..it weighs about 750 lbs I think. I was thinking of buying an engine hoist or something like that but I don't think that would actually work. Any ideas would be apppreciated. Thanks.

When I got my 12" Jet I rented a truck with a lift-gate to get it home, and borrowed the store's pallet jack to get it into the shop. Getting it off the pallet was more trouble, I ended up using a motorcycle ramp under the jointer, resting on 2x6's on one end and lifted by my Jeep's hi-lift jack on the other. Raised up the jointer, removed the pallet, slipped the mobile base underneath and lowered it onto the base. Of course there was a lot more repositioning and curse words than that short explanation but it happened mostly that way.

I've heard of people buying an inexpensive engine hoist from Harbor Freight and slinging the load. You can rent a pallet jack or a refrigerator dolly. If you are going to put it on a mobile base can you do that outside and use that to get it inside? You can make a dolly with some 2x4's and heavy duty casters, but you're getting into rental area at that point. Heck, you could use some short lengths of pipe to roll it on.

I would highly suggest that whatever method you settle on, you plan on needing one person to do it, but have a second on hand just in case.

easiest is with two friends.

The kluges i've done (in no particular order of stupidity):

rigged a block/tackle over a rafter to lift a planer.

rigged a block/tackle across 2 A-frame ladders.

asked my lawn service guys for "a little help" (and a couple of $20s)

yeah I just had that group help me move a pool table (full slate) twice....lured them in by hosting a poker game. (Un)fortunately I took all their money so not sure if I can do that again :-)

Ah... Confucius say "Man who keeps woodworking friends and people he beats in poker separate still has people to help when moving jointer." ... Sage advice I'd say.

• Like 1

==> Invite some woodworking friends over "to check out my new jointer!"

i've been tempted on that one as well, but never pulled the trigger... Probably worried that the friends might suspect something when they saw the pile of gloves and back supporters lying suspiciously close to the jointer...

man you guys are all doing it wrong here is what you do.......get the jointer and pallet where you want it then go get some gasoline and a match and burn the pallet out from under the jointer. you guys realy need to use your heads because all the back breaking work is for the birds.

• Like 1

==> man you guys are all doing it wrong here is what you do.......get the jointer and pallet where you want it then go get some gasoline and a match and burn the pallet out from under the jointer. you guys realy need to use your heads because all the back breaking work is for the birds.

well you could take the long view and use termites...

or you could bolt-on some wheels and have yourself a mobility-palette base...

On a more serious note, my dad borrowed an engine hoist from his local garage to move a piece of equipment.

To move my jointer (about 750kg), I invited about 5 of my [very large] friends for a moving party and served burgers/beer after the beast was in-place. We used rigging dollies and 3" pipes to move the thing. The final palette removal was a dead lift. i had a custom-build HTC mobility base made and we just slid the palette out and slid the mobility base under...

I used a couple of 2 by 6s and casters to move my 1000 lb jointer from garage to shop. To lift it I stacked concrete blocks to make pillars and a couple of 2by 12s I keep around for ramps for a beam and a light duty chain fault to lift it. All of these accesories you can buy for about the same price as renting a hoist and there your to use for future purchases ( like a PM lathe, that sounds heavy).

I have done it two ways, first was to invite some friends over-that worked great. The next was even better, my father in law has a small tractor, we grabbed it right off the semi and brought it into sh shop, unbolt and remove the pallet while the machine is in the air and set it down. I almost used a couple muscles unbolting the pallet!!