End grain to end grain joint

rodger.

If you want to cover the end grain you need to allow for wood movement! A breadboard end or a sliding dovetail...something that will allow a 25"- 26" kitchen counter of solid walnut to move about an 1/8 inch over the seasons.

I like to sand the end grain with every grit that I have in succession untill it is glassy smooth. Show off the fact that the top is solid wood!

Don't forget to put some sort of finish on the underside before you install it, this will help control the moisture content in your counter.

We used Waterlox on our project.

I was thinking about Waterlox. Another option I was considering is general salad bowl finish.

I normally use a block plane to clean up exposed end grain. Does the successive grits of sandpaper give a better result? Where do you stop? The finest grit I normally keep handy is 600.

I quit at 320 . A really sharp plane does fine untill it catches and tears. A few passes with some fine grits will even everything out with no torn grain.

Haven't used Generals salad bowl finish but it should be fine. I think Waterlox is pretty easy to use and has given me good results for over 35 years. Hard to beat a track record like that.

• Like 1

I quit at 320 . A really sharp plane does fine untill it catches and tears. A few passes with some fine grits will even everything out with no torn grain.

Haven't used Generals salad bowl finish but it should be fine. I think Waterlox is pretty easy to use and has given me good results for over 35 years. Hard to beat a track record like that.

Thanks steve. I always enjoy your informative posts!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a good joint, but I'm not sure it's secure enough.  It needs something more... maybe some drawbore pegs.  And some pockethole screws, just to be sure.

It's a good joint, but I'm not sure it's secure enough.  It needs something more... maybe some drawbore pegs.  And some pockethole screws, just to be sure.

lol I hope that's a joke.

Wow, Sean. I love that first joint. I'm going to have to try that one.

That is an example of Japanese joinery.

I find that it is almost always overlooked based on the complexity of creating them. However they are extremely strong and can last hundreds of years.

A quick google search will yield some amazing pictures, I really liek the fact that they are meant to be decorative while serving their main purpose

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, a real update. I bought about 24 bf of 8/4 walnut and have begun this project. I am currently gluing up and grain matching two smaller sections of the countertop (about 20 inches wide each ). I do have a chance of getting some 14 footers for the long section, so keep your fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Got it! I finally found walnut, 6/4 rough, in 13 and 14 for lengths. Now I can start the big countertop. I will be flattening one side by hand, and then running it through the planer to surface the second side. I will joint each edge with my new veritas jointer plane, and then biscuits and glue to laminate it together.

I had to drive 3 hours return to get the lumber, but it was worth it. Almost every piece is knot free, and the smallest width is just under 7 inches. I need 41 bf for the completed top, but bought 62. Should have some nice off cuts for future projects.

And the really good news is that it was very reasonably priced. I paid 5.25 a bf for 6/4, and my local guy charges 6.28 a bf for 4/4.

Here is a pic of the rough lumber.post-6372-0-96085600-1373400886_thumb.jp

I guess I won't need to glue end to end after all!

Nice looking stock! Good luck with those long joints. I have used a long straight edge and a router to get tight joints that long. I just kept shifitng my 8 ft straightedge until I had a really straight edge on my cleanest, flattest board. Then I used it as router guide to straighten the rest.

• Like 1