Chef or IT guy?

Robert Black

Both! Greetings all, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hello. A hobbyist wood worker, I am a chef by trade, who doubles as an IT guru. My recent purchase of some nice gear for the shop in my garage has got me on fire right now about everything wood. A natural complement to my profession, this hobby started out with a desire to make unique hand made cutting boards for my fellow chefs. Now, I simply find a peace and a joy to seeing the beauty that wood can reveal when coaxed in just the right fashion.

I have a wife and two kids and love to go fishing and hunting. Oh yeah, also love gardening.

Thanks for the indulgence of your time and hope to see you all around.

Robert

OKC, OK

post-9552-0-44179300-1357967186_thumb.jp

carmalita bars? yummy salted carmel goodness

http://www.cookingch...cipe/index.html

the trick is in the salt for the carmel enough to make the richness pop and have a strong salted taste but not too much because it makes it taste too rich and then it is overpowering one small bite is enough for a most of the day. i usualy add just a little more then this recipie calls for.

you might want to buy a defibrillator if you eat too many of these the recipie calls for 2 1/4 sticks of butter plus the chocolate chips, salt, sugar, carmel my heart just skiped a beat thinking of it.

oh snickerdoodle is a funny word teee hehehehe

carmalita bars? yummy salted carmel goodness

http://www.cookingch...cipe/index.html

the trick is in the salt for the carmel enough to make the richness pop and have a strong salted taste but not too much because it makes it taste too rich and then it is overpowering one small bite is enough for a most of the day. i usualy add just a little more then this recipie calls for.

you might want to buy a defibrillator if you eat too many of these the recipie calls for 2 1/4 sticks of butter plus the chocolate chips, salt, sugar, carmel my heart just skiped a beat thinking of it.

oh snickerdoodle is a funny word teee hehehehe

I'm loving the salted caramel milkshake idea!

Hi Cindy,

That's a tough one, right now I'm working on a piece with Peruvian walnut, ambrosia maple and yellow heart! I've found that certain patterns and colors elicit certain food thoughts so I'm working with similar palletes that I'm working with in the kitchen right now.

i have noticed that the smell of certain wood makes people sort of crave eating for example and this has happened before in the past but one of my shop studients while working will say i want to eat this peace of wood . this happened yesterday one of my studients was making a ring out of cherry and walnut and while we were sanding it down she asked if she could eat it. i think if you can somehow bottle the smell of wood then you can make people want to eat.

Alright foodies and chefs! Here is our first food related question!

I have some really nice centre cut pork chops (with tenderloin attached) that I would like to cook indoors, as it is very cold in Ontario right now (no bbq). Anybody have a good recipe or yummy idea of how to prepare them in a pan or in the oven? I would like to get away from the mushroom soup style I use now.

if there cheap pork chops which i find dry out quickly i would make a beer batter and batter them it helps keep in the moisture and gives it a nice flavor. if there good chops i say go natural with some seasoning you like. then just pan fry them i like to use my electric skillet for everything including soups. for a side i say go simple and just cook wild rice, broccoli, and then whole white potatoes. i like to cook the potatoes in with my porkchops so they pick up the greese and flavor from the pork. i recemend lots of garlic bad for the love but good for the body it will help your immune system and fight off germs.

thick dont mean good just means the butcher cut them thick some pork is a better quality because it comes from a better animal. that one of the few things i picked up when i worked for a short time behind the butcher counter. i could find out where the meat came from which suppliers and eventuly what farms and there were a couple of farms that produced better pork then others and when those batches came in i picked up a stack on the way out the door. and always told my friends. and when in doubt make a pork chop sandwitch and dump ketchup on top.

• 3 weeks later...