Resin Impregnating Pen Blanks

Spunjin

I've done this a few times. You do need a vacuum chamber, and you do need a vacuum pump. Finally, you need to choose your resin.

Just about every resin imaginable has been tried, with varying results. The best results I've had are with cactus juice, but the stuff is expensive.

http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=121

Shellac works OK, not great. Lacquer works OK. Plexiglass dissolved in acetone works surprisingly well, but acetone is nasty stuff to work with. Polycrylic is worthless. I'm sure others can chime in.

Also, you didn't mention if you have voids or not. Here's a pen I made that had voids. I first had it stabilized, and then I cast it in a resin. I got my plastic resin from Tap Plastics. The wood for this pen was in a fire, so it has some interesting char marks. I also added a purple dye to the resin. I also added some mica for visual interest. This is box elder burl.

post-12342-0-09839800-1360869252_thumb.j

That's a good site with good info. Thanks. I have seen Cactus Juice before at Rockler. Does it harden like epoxy resin or is it much different? I once turned a buckeye burl pen blank and it was stabilized from the seller and it was so fragrant (smelly really) I had to wear an organic respirator.

Would this vacuum pump work or is a stronger one needed?

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

I know it's an HF product but seeing as I will only use it a few times a year I don't see why I would buy a more expensive pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the pump I use, and it works fine.

I'd be surprised if you saw Cactus Juice at Rockler. Turntex is the only place I know of that carries it. The stuff at Rockler is probably polycrylic, which doesn't work very well. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25410

It doesn't stink at all. It sounds like what you had before was probably plexiglass stabilized, and then wasn't allowed to cure properly. Or, it might have been casting resin that wasn't allowed to cure or didn't have enough catalyst in it.

No, duckkisser, this isn't the same stuff. It is probably made from cactus juice in part, but it has a catalyst added.

I'll be ordering the vac chamber, dyes, and resin from turntex.com soon. Now I have to choose a Vac pump. I don't want to go with an HF pump since I read that they put out an oil mist. Probably due to no separator.

Is there a better pump out there that will work well for under $250?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

hey bigE i have an idea tht i was wondering if you would be willing to give a try.  if you take vineegar and add steel wool to it the acid in the vinegar will break down the metal and that solution will turn wood black so cherry and walnut will look like ebony.  i had the idea to soak pieces of wood in it and let it seep down over time. then you can cut it or turn it and it will be solid black through and through. but i havent goten around to doing that.  would you be willing to mix some up in your chamber and use the pressure to force it down into a small piece of walnut or cherry?  would like to see if it can be forced deep into the wood so that center is as black as the outside.  then fake ebony can be made to order.  could be a nice little busness as well as save a rapidly deminishing species of tree.  

Duckkisser,

I have used dye in the past on pen blanks that I use or sell and it went all the way through the wood, so I see no reason why the vinegar and steel wool wouldn't work. Of course, I was also stabilizing the wood, so it was not super close grained like cherry or walnut would be. An easier way to "ebonize" the wood is to just use black shoe polish as a finish. You'll want a protective finish over that, of course.

i tried it by soaking it a few small pieces just to see what it would do after a few months it soaked down one piece had this realy cool black and red swerl through it where it did not get all the way.  just thinking it would make some realy cool finials or pens. 

I'll give it a shot. I need to get some wood in to do it right, though. Right now most of the wood I have is black line spalted or exotic. I may have some plain oak or cherry or ash or something like that hidden somewhere in the stash. I've got a bunch of spalted maple burl that I'm still processing, but I ran out of stabilizer. Got some more on order. Stuff is *expensive* though. Wow. :-).

In the meantime I'm doing some stabilizing with liquid Plexiglas. Messy, toxic, doesn't work as well, but does an OK job.I tried with casting resin, but don't have enough pressure in my pressure pot to get it in all the cracks.