Is this the right chuck?????

man of wood

I am learning the lathe, and trying some bowl work but the wood keeps flying off once I remove the center and start to cut the inside. First I thought it was the bark on the log, so I removed it and had the same result.  Here are pictures of my chuck.... maybe it is not the right one or I may be using it wrong.  Welllllllll my lathe is from the 50's and runs true and this chuck what it came with. It worked for them why not for me????  I can see a newer one would with up grades may be better........... or once again I may be using it wrong....  If I do need to get a up graded on, how do I know what threads I need.   Ok I attached two pictures, but I'm not sure they made it, if they didn't I will try again.

Thank you

Thomas

post-3722-0-06654400-1361458679_thumb.jp

post-3722-0-46662400-1361458782_thumb.jp

I'd advise you to invest in a 'modern' scroll chuck.  Supernova 2 ( http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2005199/38520/supernova2-chuck-with-4-jaw-package.aspx) is a common one that many find to be a good starting point.  This type of chuck has multiple removable jaws so you can pick the right size for the particular task, and you can buy lots of other options too.  Make sure you get the right 'insert' for your particular lathe..

Hope this is useful..

Cheers,

Da Bear..

To expand, what the others have said is accurate.  If you look at the Nova or Barracuda chuck systems, you will notice that the teeth of the jaws have a very slight negative angle to them.  In the pics, your jaws appear to have a positive angle on them. 

The easiest way to think about it is to think about how you would hold the workpiece in your hand for the best grip.  You would curl your fingers around in a "claw" shape.  The jaws you are using would be more a kin to cupped palm with the fingers just bracing the side and not grabbing. 

Bowl chucks are one of those tools you kind of have to bite the bullet and spend the big cheese on.  If it's not at least $150+, you are likely not going to get a reliable chuck.  Most are in the $200-$500 range unfortunatley. 

Both Nova and Barracuda are well known, and well respected brands.  There are a handful of others out there, but I have been told they really aren't worth their weight.  I haven't personally used them, since I was strongly advised against it.  I have the Barracuda system, and would strongly reccomend it.  I think the Nova is a step above, but I can't really think of what else I would want out of my chuck....except for it to have a twin!  Changing the jaws is annoying on any chuck, so many turners spend the money to get a dedicated "Jumbo Jaw" chuck.  It's not needed, just more effecient.

• Like 1

also what kind of tool are you using a regular spindle gouge cant work for bowl turning get  bowl gouge and make shure they they are sharp if the tool is dull it will catch on the wood and send it flying where a sharp tool will send perfect even shaving out.  my sugestion is buy a cheap set like harbor freight or even menards lathe tools and practice grinding and sharpening till you get a good grind.

and if you havent goten one get a face shield after all the wood is spinning toward you i have had a few small pieces break and hit me in the face and even had a large bowl come off and hit the shield.

here is a post that i gave someone with the bulk of my knowledge from turning for 2 years its the 3ed post down lots of information and a little confusing but still you might get something from it

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others that your current chuck is a metal working chuck.  It was probably used for spindle work and not bowl or other work with an unsupported end. 

For threads measure your spindle, then with a point (top of thread) at zero count the threads to the one inch mark.  Subtract one.  I.e. for a 1X8 spindle there will be nine points.

I assume from the 50’s the lathe is probably 12” max swing unless it has a gap bed.

The chuck Bear linked to is very good.  I have Nova’s also.  If the capacity is over 12” swing I would go with the supernova2, for 12” or less I would go with the Nova G3.  Novas are made by Teknatool who invented the modern scroll chuck for woodworking.

They are out right now but the service center often has the SN2 for $110 and everyone states they look brand new.  If you have a somewhat standard spindle (1X8, 1.25X8, or maybe a couple of more) inserts are easy to find.  If you have an odd size spindle Nova sell 25+ different size inserts for their chucks to cover most any lathe.  http://novatoolsusa.com/Reconditioned-Products_c10.htm

They also have the G3 at a good price.  If you have a fairly common insert your can get the G3 from Amazon or the bay for $125 including insert and shipping.

I have several chucks because I hate changing jaws (and over the years ran upon several wuttenbuts).

I use the SN2’s with large work and the G3’s with smaller (under 12”).