Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pug

Ridgid 5" RO sander r2601

5 posts in this topic

My sander died a few weeks ago (in the middle of a project of course), so I brought it in for a repair. After a day, the tech called me and told me that ridgid no longer makes my sander (r2600). Because ridgid cannot repair the tool, they said they would send me a replacement.

A week later a refurbished r2601 arrives from FedEx. I take it to task right away, and I was dissapointed with the unit.

First, it does what it is supposed to do. It sands and orbits just fine, and the dust collection is quite good when using the dust deputy.

The issue is that I feel ridgid "cheaped out" when designing this sander. Many of the features that I chose the previous model for are now removed. The 2600 had an extra long cord and a nice Velcro cord wrap, as well as an illuminated cord end. It also came in a hard case. All of these features are gone now, the cord wrap replaced by a cheap moulded clip and the case a soft bag. The previous model also came with two pads, one Velcro and one adhesive pad. Ridgid no longer includes the adhesive pad.

I would not buy this tool today. It's a good temporary replacement; I will use it for a while before I buy a higher quality unit. To be fair though, it's a relatively inexpensive unit to begin with.

post-6372-0-35511000-1376088275_thumb.jp

Mike. likes this

That's very disappointing. I also have the 2600 and really considered it to be an awesome value for the money for all of the reasons you mentioned. I guess I'll have to make this one last as long as I can!

Franklin - Do you know what part broke? I have ordered multiple parts for my 2600 (in fact, just ordered another brake and a new bearing, because it trashed two brakes in a matter of hours. Thus far it's been incredibly easy to repair myself. I can't fathom that Ridgid can't repair the tool when I can easily order new parts from ridgidparts.com.

Franklin - Do you know what part broke? I have ordered multiple parts for my 2600 (in fact, just ordered another brake and a new bearing, because it trashed two brakes in a matter of hours. Thus far it's been incredibly easy to repair myself. I can't fathom that Ridgid can't repair the tool when I can easily order new parts from ridgidparts.com.

The tech told me it was a circuit board, or module, or something similar sounding. He told me ridgid no longer had parts for it.

Ah, I see one PCB (printed circuit board) and yep, it's one of the "not available parts." That's a shame. I guess I'll get getting a different sander when this one finally kicks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• Table saw from Craig's list
      The Ridgid contractor saws are directly related to the older Cman saws....out of the same two factories, and many parts are even interchangeable, so I'd definitely include them.  The Ridgids have a better fence....some of the Cman have an "Alignarip" that's a similar style, but some of the old ones had a skinny steel fence that's kind of quirky....ok to buy at the right price, but with the understanding you'll probably want to upgrade the fence some point.  The Delta T2 or T3 fence is ~ $190 at HD, so keep that upgrade in mind as you price a used saw.  As jussi mentioned, a riving knife is a "nice to have", not a "must have"...a splitter does the same task if you use one.  Some saws are a compact style, and won't be quite full size...the indicator is depth of the cast iron table from front to back - 27" is the standard full size depth.  Belt drive induction motor vs universal direct drive is another biggie to look for....the older standard contractor saws have an outboard belt drive motor hanging off the back.  Some newer designs move the motor inside.  Running it will tell you in a heartbeat if you are not sure....universal saws scream like a circular saw, induction motors hum like a fan.  Solid cast iron wings are a nice to have too, vs stamped steel....I wouldn't walk from a right priced good saw because of steel wings though! Some of the Grizzly contractor saws have basically the same guts as the old Jet and PM saws, so those can be good depending on the fence....there are many older saws from a variety of lesser known names that essentially have the same guts from the same Mao Shan factory....Ohio Forge, Bridgewood, Woodtek, Omega, AFF, Mao Shan, etc.  If the price is right, the fence can be upgraded if need be.  To me $50-$150 is the right price for those.    Old Rockwell contractor saws are about the same as some of the older Delta....beware of the cheaper direct drive models though....look for the motor off the back and a full size table.   jussi - yep Geetech!
    • 0 to 316MPH in 3.77 Seconds
      Blink and it is over. I wonder if there is any lumber at all in this top fuel car!
    • The Biggest 'J' since Up in Smoke
      Your right, willie Nelson would be proud.
    • Dust Collection Confusion
      Hi - Welcome to the gang. Dust collection has a lot of things that need considering to engineer the system correctly. Here is a book that can give you a decent place to start: http://www.amazon.com/Woodshop-Dust-Control-Complete-Setting/dp/156158116X Then you might give Bill Pence's website a look, although he may scare you a bit. Something to think about: a 2 HP dust collector can change or exhaust the air in a 40 x 40 foot shop in 20 minutes. If you are going to air condition you shop, you are going to need a way to return the air the DC is moving back to the shop.
    • Idonized Maple?
      I think it is pyrolized wood, a type of heat treatment  that colors the wood all the way through. It also renders the wood rot resistant without using chemicals. i think the wood has to be heated in a chamber without oxygen or some special atmosphere. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room