Need padauk!

Llama

Unfortunately I only have access to 4/4 at the moment, but I believe some of the boards are 12"+.  Did you check Bell Forest or Shannon's yard?...Finkelstein Shmiggelhammer or whatever?  I have a feeling it'll be tough to find stock larger than 8/4 but I guess it's out there somewhere.  Let me know if the 4/4 will help you and I'll get you a price.

Eric, I have a call out to a few places, but haven't heard back yet. Sam, they do but not 12" wide. Unless I want a $500 slab...

You're saying you don't want that slab?

Kidding. I would try Bell forrest. I always look through their site when at work. Most exotics are on par with KM or even cheaper. Not sure about shipping, though.

I could glue it up, but I wanted to exhaust all reasonable avenues first. It's for a custom animal I am making for a client. It's a big deal, and I want it to be perfect. It will be seen by a lot of people, so I am feeling the pressure of getting this right :)

• Like 1

A piece that wide might cup on you or move after you cut out the animal. But I understand the desire to build out of one piece. Plus most places aren't going to cut 2 ft off of a big wide plank so you could be forced to buy a 8' to 15' long plank.

If you bought a 5" wide plank and dressed the edges nicely you might have a few feet left over but not a huge plank eating up any profit.

You guys are both hilarious and awesome!

Reindeer... Yes, that would be great! Unfortunately padauk is my slowest moving reindeer, and the cost of such a large piece would mean my reindeer customers wouldn't be too happy :) unless someone, hint hint, wants a ten foot giraffe ;)

The local mill has a very nice slab that's $500. Seems when that "live edge" title is applied to a piece, the price goes up!

Also would be awesome if someone had a piece the same size in spalted maple. I quoted maple, but I think splalted maple would look awesome for this particular animal.

Use maple and dye it red/orange.

I can't do that. :)

I may have found a piece that is the perfect size from Bell Forest, I still need to call them and verify but it sounds like they have what I need. And the 10% guild discount gives it a free ride to my house! :)

Wow, that is great customer service !

Indeed! My local guys wouldn't do that for me. Can't blame them, but it certainly goes a long way to get that kind of service! And the cost is very reasonable. Especially considering I don't have to go anywhere to get it! :)

Indeed! My local guys wouldn't do that for me. Can't blame them, but it certainly goes a long way to get that kind of service! And the cost is very reasonable. Especially considering I don't have to go anywhere to get it! :)

What was the shipping quoted to (before discount)?