Pre stain conditioner and BLO...

Fricasseekid

Ugh...

I sanded the trouble spots down and restained. I did not use the conditioner this time. Most spots came out really well. The lid is absolutely gorgeous. But there is a bad spot right on the front that is giving me trouble. Plus the sand paper is clogging up with stain oil so quickly that I'm getting some really bad sanding swirls. :(

Any advice?

post-6956-14116510454279_thumb.jpg

post-6956-14116510637792_thumb.jpg

post-6956-14116510826735_thumb.jpg

Down periods like this happen from time to time. Finishing is not my personal area of expertise. I know what I know but that is limited by experience. Can you define what you mean by "bad spot" and/or post a closeup? The paper load up sounds like moisture to me. Your finish may not be cured enough to sand right now. Does "swirls" mean random orbit?

• Like 1

I think you got a lot of good ideas in previous posts.  I'd try one or two of those.  Softwoods and oil-based stains don't play nice.  They just don't.  That's why it was suggested to either try a sealer or pre-stain conditioner of some kind, or to spray.  I don't care what kind of witch's brew concoction you come up with...if you're wiping oil-based stain on raw softwood, you're gonna have problems.

I didn't ignore the answers.

I had made it clear the plain was to use the stain. The question was about how to mix the best conditioner and whether or not I need a conditioner. I do appreciate the input and plan to use some of the wisdom shared on future projects. But for now the question really wasn't answered within the parameters.

I am an admin on a few audio forums as well and one of my pet peeves is when somebody asks for suggestions for a 15" subwoofer and people are like "check out these 10" woofers".

No disrespect intended of course. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.