Working With Beechwood

Cybelle2006

Hi:

I have bought, at a steal, a beautiful small table and 6 chairs.  The style was started before WWI and is called Drevounia and this set was made in Czechoslovakia.  I know the wood is Beech as I had asked a furniture finisher and a lumber company about it.

Unfortunately, the finish is damaged.  So I sanded only the table down to the bare wood.  It is now a beautiful pale blond with some dark streaks.  

What I wanted to accomplish was to keep the blond colour as is and just put a finish over it.

PROBLEM:  As soon as ANYTHING touches the wood it turns ORANGE!!  

First I put Raw Tung Oil on it (the underside) and it turned orange, but I thought it would go light when it dried.  Not!!  So I spent 2 hrs sanding it down to the raw wood again.

I had bought cream bees wax and tried a tiny spot on the underside of the other leaf of the table and it turned:  orange.

I put some water on to test it as well and it turned:  orange.

So, I am thinking I will have to paint it over with a quick solution of (ASCP) Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in a medium Ivory.  I am so worn out with this table alone and I have six other chairs to finish.  I also do not want to have to sand the chairs down to bare wood because they are too ornate. I just want to lightly sand and stain and poly.

So, I viewed website's YouTube Video that one could seal the wood with De-Waxed Shellac (Clear).

I was therefore wondering if the shellac would turn the Beechwood ORANGE again.  

If so, I would have to do a base coat of white.  I was thinking of using the ASCP in white for the base coat.  Or Zinsser.

If the shellac works to seal the wood and not turn it ORANGE, maybe I could put a nice stain on it in a medium Ivory and then finish it with wipe-on polyurethane.

Is there anyone here who could help me with info to finish my table and chairs project real soon as hubby is really upset at not having a table to eat on.  And I am at my wits end as well ! ! 

I need step by step instructions on how to finish this table and the chairs too.

PS:  We moved into a condo last November and I don't have anywhere to finish this project except in my girlfriend's carport.  No Garage Available!!

Thanks So Very Much for any help you can give me.

Respectfully, Cybelle

Even the shellac sold as 'seal coat' will impart a slight amber tone to tbe wood. Perhaps if you purchase super-blond shellac flakes and mix it yourself, you can minimize that effect. In my limited experience, clear spray lacquer tends to cause the least color change. Some of the others here recommend a water borne polyurathane product, but I have no experience with that.

Thanks To Everyone Who Responded  :)

Wtnhighlander:

Your First Suggestion:  I am not experienced enough to try mixing anything that involves chemicals.  And as mentioned, no workshop to work in, in case I spill something.  But thanks anyway.  

Your Second Suggestion:  To build initial finish with shellac and do a final wipe-on poly topcoat: sounds good.  I will use the spray-on shellac.  I have to see if the wipe-on poly has a bad odour.  

Mike Woodsap: I will use the spray-on shellac as I only want to use it as a sealer to prevent that darn Orange Colour!  I will then see how the colour goes.  Sounds like the easiest method.  I always use ventilation as I don't like to take chances.  

duckkisser:  I cannot even think of going through the mess of trying to bleach the wood.  To much work and stress for me.  Remember, I live in a condo.  

I will combine wtnhighlander and Mike Woodsap suggestions (they are pretty close) and see how things go.  

I will post the outcome when all is finished.  I got up very late today, but the outside temp is 25C and hardly any wind up here on the 17th floor.  So, I will hurry up and get started. 

First spray-on shellac, see how the colour goes, then if all is good, wipe-on poly or General Finishes High Performance.  If the colour is too orange, i will use ASCP, with a wax finish, and be done with this project.  My husband will be so happy to see it all finished.  As will I.

Thank You All once again for responding to my post and plight.  

Respectfully, Cybelle

A technique I have used for durability reasons is to build the initial finish with shellac, then do a final wipe on poly topcoat. Keeps the poly from coloring the wood, and shellac provides a pretty hard finish. With a coat of poly to protect it from alcohol damage, it holds up pretty darn well.

Just what I was going to recommend. I make my own dewaxed shellac from flakes so I can make a 1-pound cut and put on a couple of coats, then the poly.