Looking for suggestions to fix shop floor

Janello

I am still young and so occasionally violate this principle still. I learned this about five years into my trade. For my personality, the appearance of the task is always worse than the reflection after. I had to learn to just fix things instead of trying to get out of the work. Looking back with my boss it was almost always "That was not nearly so bad as I imagined." Two cents, no more.

After much debate as to whether or not I should grind the slab and epoxy, float a concrete leveler, or put a wood floor down I have come to a decision that was originally my last option.

My boss mills logs as a side business and has a stack of 4/4 material that came off the woodmizer. It's a mixture of white oak, pin oak, red oak. He is sending it to a company that will mill it and T&G it for flooring in his shore house. He will have the 600 sq ft that I need left over and will only cost me a fraction of what epoxy will cost. So I decided I'm going to put 1x sleepers 12" on center insulate with foam board between and have myself a wood floor in the shop.

The only real negative will be the 2.75 inch lip from the apron to the shop floor at the main door (currently have a 1"  lip now) and my outlet height in the floor being recessed below the wood floor (not a big deal as it will be under the out-feed table of the table saw).

So, even though I am putting wood down, I just couldn't live with it and I went and rented a concrete grinder. PB's right...slurry mess! 

I'm now thinking of using a mastic to glue the 3/4 thick T&G boards directly to the concrete floor. My original idea of putting in sleepers will raise the floor too much. Can this be done? If so, any suggestions for a good adhesive?

I agree with Mike's advice to wait a year, especially since you've ground the concrete. My concrete job had a few things that annoyed me but after a month it isn't a big deal. I had to keep telling myself it's a shop. Plus if you're doing the electrical, lights, insulation, walls, ceiling, and painting yourself like it I did, it's a lot of work. 

But the real question is - where are all the picture updates of this new shop in your build thread! 

I'd push back on the company that did the concrete to either grind it smooth or reimburse you the cost to have it done and then either epoxy it or put down cork flooring, it's durable, great for acoustics, and works as a good thermal barrier.

I would have to agree, it sounds like it was not of a CL guy than a company that laid it and it that's so, it may be a little more difficult but I believe it's still worth your time to lean on the person who was supposed to lay it to your order and failed to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm leary of bamboo, I can't remember where I read about issues (Sawmill Creek?), but many people complained the floors didn't hold up over time to wear. Maybe it's a grading issue, I don't know.

I know you can get diamond floor grinders, might help the OP's situation. Would be an excellent prep for epoxy.