Recommendations for wood choice for large bed

Good morning all! I'd posted earlier about finding decent construction lumber, but am now looking at trying to find some inexpensive hardwood...

Any recommendations? I'd considered Alder or even Redwood, but they're fairly soft.

Specifically, the sizes I'm looking for are

6each of 4x4x8  (16/4 x 8)

2each of 4x4x10 (16/4 x 10)

7each of 2x6x8 (16/4 x 8)

I'd very much appreciate suggestions on an inexpensive hard wood, or opinions of using Cedar or Alder for a large 4-poster canopy bed.

Is there an online place you'd recommend buying from that ships? There are lots of online places, just looking for a place you'd be able to recommend. ;)

Thanks!

Ron

You can use any species you want as long as the bed is engineered and built correctly...the proper thickness of a softer wood will be nearly as strong as the proper thickness of any other species.  Hardness doesn't necessarily equate to strength, although there is surely some correlation in certain examples.  Use whatever pleases your taste and your budget...just be sure to build the thing right...that's what matters.

Bell Forest has a very solid reputation for online lumber.  I believe you get a tiny discount if you're a Guild member.

Yes, I would recommend Bell Forest also.

I have made 3-4 orders and have been pleased with the lumber.

Be sure to include what you are building in the comments section and they will attempt to ship you lengths/widths/grain patterns that are useful for your type project.

They have 20% off for 1 week ending March 28 (code: madness).

D

Eric speaks the truth.  Remember that, depending on where you live, your entire house is probably framed in softwood pine, and I bet it's still standing :)  Focus on the engineering and building processes and buy whatever lumber you like.  Alder is a good choice and will take stain/finish well.  I haven't checked bell forest prices lately, but around me soft maple is a good inexpensive hardwood.  

On bell forest specifically, I've placed 3 orders there in the past and was happy with the service and quality.  Like Dave said, include as much detail as you can in the comments section and they will work with you to get the pieces you need.  They are very responsive by email.

Good luck!

==>Unless the users are into bondage or something, beds don't get beat up much

Hummmm, what's the top movie for the last how many weeks? ---- we could be talking Lignum Vitae here... Or maybe reinforce critical hardware mounting points with West Systems 205/404 bondage.. I mean bonding... filler... :)

• Like 1