Explosion Proof Motor on Sprayers?

cstandi1

I have the Graco Pro-Shot II sprayer. In the instructions it says not to spray flammable finished since the motor is not explosion proof. How big of a danger is this really? I spray single smaller pieces, at the most something book cased sized and that very rarely. I also have a well ventilated garage that I would be working in. I would like to be able to spray shellac etc.

Saw that too, but there is warning label on everything for everything these days.

I see where this could be a major problem for someone doing large scale spraying for a longer time especially in a confined areas.

It seems like it would be difficult for the stoichiometric ratio to get high enough in the time it would take me to spray a coat of finish onto a box or wall cabinet in a well ventilated garage. I was just hoping someone had some experience in this area and could help me out.

This has nothing to do with volume or time. This has to do with the flashpoint of solvents and the fact that water borne often flows better at a warmer temperature. My guess would be the motor is explosion proof in the traditional spark sense. The fluid in the line is dangerous as it picks up and grounds static or picks up motor heat. The motor is a potential non issue.

I saw your post, and I saw the warning label itself on the manual as I mentioned in the OP. I wouldn't have posed the question otherwise. I wanted to understand what the true danger was and where it was coming from. One of you answered the question helpfully, the other was simply a smart ass with nothing offer but a snarky comment and a picture of information I already knew.

I was hoping be able to accomplish what I wanted with the tools I had at my disposal by mitigating the danger posed by flammable finished being ignited while floating in the air. It's called managed risk. Now I understand that is not the danger and that this is not possible with this sprayer.

So in short, calm down Francis. 

Explosion proof motors are completely sealed so fumes cannot get to the arcing from the brushes. You are correct in your risk statement, but your well ventilated shop would only have to blow a small amount of fumes where the motor could suck them in and things could go boom.

So my opinion for what it's worth if not to do it.

• Like 1

Nothing much to do with your question, but I bought the first model of battery powered Proshot when Graco first came out with it. I sprayed some latex with it, and liked it. Shortly later, I used it to spray some oil based primer. As soon as I started, it started shocking me at a really fast rate, like as fast as the pump was cycling. I used a rubber glove to finish what I was doing. That night I checked the internet, and sure enough others had the same problem. I never put any thing but latex or water bourne in it again. I now have a cheap hundred buck HVLP dedicated to oil based primer, and only spray it outdoors.

The Proshot is a handy thing to have, but way too much trouble to clean for the small jobs it's intended for. I'm pretty fanatic about cleaning most spray guns though. I don't use this one unless I have a sink on the job.

Since then, they've come out with later versions specifically addressing the problems with solvent based finishes, but I haven't kept up with them.

Should I be concerned that, not knowing better, I removed the Do Not Remove label on my pillow?

That label was all that stood between you and a firey death. One night you're going to lay down and BAM! - the whole thing is just going to explode. Shoulda read the label...

That label was all that stood between you and a firey death. One night you're going to lay down and BAM! - the whole thing is just going to explode. Shoulda read the label...

I'm not worried as it's my wife's pillow! But she will be relieved as she thought it was hot flashes!

Sorry op

All opinions not wanted huh?  Welcome to the world of online forums, where when you ask a question, you may not get the answer you WANT to hear.  A forum, by definition, is a place where ideas are exchanged...not a place you go to be reassured about your already preconceived notions.  If you want that, I suggest finding a cult that suits you.

I have no problem with other opinions. I do prefer that they further a conversation, not just condescendingly regurgitate information that is already known. There was no exchange of ideas there. Others offered a reasoned thought process as to where the danger lay and I appreciate that. Everything we buy now days is covered in labels warning us of dire death, hell everything is apparently known to cause cancer in California. That does not mean that with certain precautions you can not safely do the things the on the warning labels. I hope no one has ever taken the blade guard off their table saw, I'm pretty sure there is warning label for that.

I weighed this myself. Read all kinds if stuff where it may not be necessary and so on. It came down to this. If my shop catches on fire, the insurance man is going to look at whether it was an explosion proof fan or not. I elected to spend the extra money and cover my backside. To each their own.