Buying combination sander

duckkisser

Morning Duck....basically I only see a disc size and rpm difference.  I use an older Craftsman set up like this with a 6" disc.  The bracket that holds the disc table is junk.  You may want to put your hands on one up close before ordering.  As to disc size, there are a lot of times I want to round a corner or something like that and I wish the table and disc were bigger.  I've looked at others and many are way over priced for what they are....this Jet is in the same ball park for size and HP and has a bigger table and the adjustment bracket is better; so look around before buying.

I bought a Grizzly G0529...I think it was four hundred something.  It's a disc/OSS combo, which I find to be far more versatile than the disc/belt...that combination seems redundant to me.  I know you don't build much furniture, but the oscillating spindle is far more useful in my workflow than two flat surfaces would be.  The G0529 is also a standalone unit with an enclosed cabinet.  It's a better value than any of the three you linked...IMO.

Since you do mostly turnings...if you were looking for a sander to help with glue-ups on segmented bowls, etc, a la Frank Howarth...I'd consider buying a standalone large disc sander.  The small disc is certainly a limitation worth considering, depending on your work.  For me it's great.

I have the Jet combination sander (belt & 9" disc) that Tim referenced and for a hobbyist, it is a vast improvement over the small Craftsman combination sander (belt & 6" disc) that I had prior.  For me, the 9" disc has not been limiting.  If I have a large piece to sand, I just set up a roller stand to the side for added support.  If I hadn't already owned an OSS and the Jet combination sander wasn't a $150 Craigslist deal, I would have bought the Grizzly that Eric referenced.

I have thought about the oss sander but I think I would be a limitation I have used the height of the belt sander to cover tall boxes, boards, corners ect..... more then I have used the oss sander.  when I need to sand a curve I usualy use a set up for my drill press.  I don't want to get a cabinet unit since I have my sander seting up on top of a file cabinet where I store a lot of my smaller power tools like my router. money is getting to be a factor in what I buy a 800 sander is a little pricy. rather keep it in the 400 dollar range. better yet if I can find a Craig's list unit.

Eric, thanks for pointing out the spindle / disk combo! I had never seen that before.

Me neither....I'm on the Grizzly site often too.  I use the small belt sander a good bit but I could really benefit from the Griz combo unit.  Eric, I see DC on the spindle but does the disc have any DC?

Yeah Tim it does, but the machine comes with 2" ports which makes them essentially useless.  I tore those things out and built custom 4" ports for both.  Here's what I did with the OSS...don't have pics of the disc port mods handy, but it's the same concept, generally...

sandDC1.jpg