A garage shop is coming!

bushwacked

a little more tinkering ... I am not sure on the tablesaw/outfeed combo. I think I will just need to get it in there and play with it.

The drill press and bandsaw just seem in weird spots now. Also, the lines on the outside are 8' to give me/you an idea on how the plywood would fit.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-11%20at%2011.47.

I would take the jointer, planer and table saw and rotate the whole thing 180 deg. That leaves you 9 or 10 feet from the wall to the saw blade and jointer and you could open the door to feed those longer boards out. Plus your jointer and Planer would be closer to the lumber rack.

Oh wow, sadly it had never crossed my mind to do that ... that could work really well.

Planning is great, but I found that I wound up coming up with a better layout by living with the space a bit and tinkering with the layout.  So I suggest keeping the setup flexible so you can easily move things if you need to.  Just a thought.

I completely agree, but I need somewhat of an idea because I am going to have to wire up the garage with electricity, so I need an around about area for each so I can place outlets

Oh wow, sadly it had never crossed my mind to do that ... that could work really well.

I dissagree with that from a workflow point of veiw.  Material comes in the big door. 

To each his own.  It has to work for you.

Yeah, I struggled with how to respond thinking a little like Kev. If you work a lot with sheet goods, Don made a good case for pulling sheets from the truck to the saw in a couple of threads. If the wood you work is rough sticks, then maybe it is not as big a deal. Either way, the ability to stage the saw in the door leaves you sunny day space on one side with maximum room depth on the other. How far into the room you move is a balance point you evaluate.

I dissagree with that from a workflow point of veiw.  Material comes in the big door. 

To each his own.  It has to work for you.

Kev,  mine is set up that way. I pull sheet goods off The truck across the saw (blade down) and rest them on the bench behind.

But I also have a 54 inch extension table that is up against the wall

I am not opposed to working with my door open but I do want to rethink that position for the cold months that would suck. I may move it to a more central location to see if that helps. When I'm cutting on the tablesaw I don't do much moving. What are you having to grab on your cabinet area so much?

Its a variety of things really.  DC remote, tape measure, brush, pieces and parts.

I just find it very convenient to have the TS and a workbench back to back.  When I first set up my shop, I had it set up like yours; and found myself walking circles around the table saw more than I'd like.  Like you said, I like to not move around too much when cutting; but there are always little things that come up that I need to put down, or grab or whatever.  Its much easier to just turn around and do that, as opposed to walking clear around the saw.

After having it set up like yours, I rotated it 90 degrees so that the TS was at right angles to the bench and the garage door...and then ultimately changed it so the saw faced out the door.  Its by far my favorite setup so far.  But it's not going to work for everyone obviously. 

• 2 weeks later...

The latest mock up ... I forgot I will be adding dust collection so I put that in here as well. I am not sure I like it so close to the tablesaw though. I might need to shorten my cabinets and put it in the top right corner? I was also thinking bottom left? I am not sure yet on that and where it should go ... is this a good site and info for calculating my DC needs? http://www.airhand.com/designing.aspx

As for a workbench and outfeed table I think I am going to go with something like the Ron Paulk workbench. It offers a lot of things I would like although I do have questions about a good vise on the end to work with as well. Not sure if I should add one or not or even how to add it with that design. I think it would be a nice addition though for the workbench. I was also thinking about a moxen vise too, but I was hoping I could integrate it into the table build so I dont have to bother taking it on and off every time I want to use it.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%206.30.5

As for the table saw and outfeed being turned 90 degrees. I did some playing with it and it would just take up too much space with this design I have now. Here is a workup of the table saw turned 90 degrees. It seems to take up a lot of room in the door area. I am wanting to keep it close to the garage door for off the truck unloading ease.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-24%20at%207.05.3