Thin Stock Ripping Jig

davewyo

I got one of those MLCS thin stock jigs and it doesn't fit my saw.

When it is adjusted all the way towards the blade it can only extend to about 5/16" from the blade.

I got it to slice thin strips to use as inlay.

My question is...what is the normal distance from your miter slot to your blade?

I have a DeWalt job site saw so I'm wondering if the miter slot is a non-standard distance from the blade, thus causing my thin stock jig from getting close enough.

On the left side of my blade my miter slot is 6" away. On the right it's 6 and just over 3/16".

On my Grizzly cabinet saw the left slot is 5 3/4"  and the right is less than 4".  I have the Rockler version of that jig and when extended will touch the blade.  I got rid of one (can't remember who made it) that had the same issues as your MLCS.

• Like 1

I have a Jet table saw. The left miter slot is 4-3/4" c/c from the blade and the right slot is 6" c/c.

I also have a Rockler "Thin Rip" jig and it extends from 1-1/2" to 6" so, I'm good to go but, I've never used it in the five years since my brother gave it to me.

Rog

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I appreciate you measuring your saws for me.

It's unfortunate that the jig doesn't work with my saw, but I'm saving for a "real" saw and may keep it anyway.

I definitely see that it is one of those seldom used tools, but it fits in with a couple of projects I'm currently into.

A board with a pointed end clamped to the table, or fixed up to fit in the miter slot, will serve the same purpose Dave.

Yeah...that's definitely what I'm going to do with this job site saw. All I'm trying to do is get consistent thin off cuts for some inlay.

I'm certainly not going to bother replacing the jig when I'm hoping to switch saws as soon as my thinly stretched finances allow.

Yeah...that's definitely what I'm going to do with this job site saw. All I'm trying to do is get consistent thin off cuts for some inlay.

I'm certainly not going to bother replacing the jig when I'm hoping to switch saws as soon as my thinly stretched finances allow.

I feel your pain brother, oh how I feel your pain!
  • Like 1