What would you do?

Woody1

So I went to a lumber yard near my office to look for a piece of wood to make a tree swing seat, and to peruse a whole new world of wood that HD doesn't carry. This was my first time seeing all the different woods you all talk about here in the forum. That feeling like a kid in a candy store.....

Anyway I found a piece of cypress that I really liked and wouldn't have to make any cuts. Just round it over and finish it with something. I came across a box of cut-offs with some cool looking wood so I grabbed what I liked without thinking of what I would do with it. It was 10 bucks...why not try something other than 2x4's and plywood??

I thought about a jewelry box  but my wife already has a really nice one. What would you guys do with this? (Bonus points for ID'ing the wood)

post-18256-0-56874200-1437919205_thumb.j

Lots of cool stuff to do with "scrap" sized pieces..  Take a look at Marc's mantle clocks..  Fun quick project..

Doing some guessing here on all the species based only on the 1 picture..  Walnut, maple, cherry, oak, sapele

I see mahogany or fauxhogany upper left, to the right of that poplar, under that possibly white oak, under that more poplar.  Front left more poplar.  Rear right, walnut.  The two pieces in front of the walnut, ash.  Front right, maple...leaning toward soft.  Could be more poplar...pretty white for poplar but hard to say from the pic.

No ideas for projects...those are scraps...maybe pens?  Who would want a poplar pen, I'm not sure.  Walnut or mahogany maybe.  Otherwise, test boards.

If you have ever thought about doing inlay work, you have an assortment of different woods there with different colors. Using that wide piece of poplar as the substrate, you could practice and hone the skills.

I have only done inlay a few times but find it to be very enjoyable.