Dust collection

Ok I have a question my first one. I was talking with a colleague of mine and we where discussing air flow. What happen here is we are in the hvac feild and what I am wanting to know if you build a 8/16 room in my shop for lumber storage and my dust collector my colleague thinks it will pressurize the room and make the dust collector not work right because of the positive pressure in the room. So does anyone know if you put a dust collector in a small room will it pressurize and not work right thanks

Yes, that is correct.   It will essentially add to the static pressure of the system and cause an overall drop of air flow at your tools.   Pressure on the output side of the collector matters just as much.   That is one of the reasons why cheaper dust collectors are sold with lesser filters.   If they put a stock filter on it that is good to 5-10 micro particle size, they can get higher air flow rates (good for marketing).    Then they sell an "upgrade" to a 1 micron filter but don't bother to tell you since that filter is more restrictive it lowers the air flow rates.

Could you do that back in to the shop and still have it to lessen the noise terrymck

Yes, and if you look up soundproofing ducts there are ways of making it have minimal noise transfer but not be that restrictive of air flow.    You actually WANT it going back to the shop because that is where the air is coming from...otherwise you create a negative pressure in the shop space.   Guys that vent their dust collector outside (which is the best option for eliminating fine dust) have to deal with that return air issue.

Very quiet now but like Vyrolan is saying, there needs to be return air.

Do you run like that in the winter?   I know some people claim venting outside is terrible when you're sending out all your heated air and pulling in cold outside air...but other people say that problem is not really a big deal because you don't run your DC for long continuous intervals.

Do you run like that in the winter? I know some people claim venting outside is terrible when you're sending out all your heated air and pulling in cold outside air...but other people say that problem is not really a big deal because you don't run your DC for long continuous intervals.

I havent yet but i am one of those that doesnt run my dc for long periods of time. Its just a hobby for me. I guess i will see how it goes. It gets to below -30celcius where i am. I will put a wood burning stove in the shop if its really bad but im not expecting it to be an issue.

I do.  It drops the temp a bit but bounces back pretty quickly.  If it gets too cold I go inside for 15 minutes.  It's worse in the summer because I hate heat.  But in trade I don't have to deal with filters and my DC is more efficient.  It's a good trade.

I havent yet but i am one of those that doesnt run my dc for long periods of time. Its just a hobby for me. I guess i will see how it goes. It gets to below -30celcius where i am. I will put a wood burning stove in the shop if its really bad but im not expecting it to be an issue.

You don't call -30* Celsius  really bad ?  :wacko:

I do.  It drops the temp a bit but bounces back pretty quickly.  If it gets too cold I go inside for 15 minutes.  It's worse in the summer because I hate heat.  But in trade I don't have to deal with filters and my DC is more efficient.  It's a good trade.

Yea I knew you were one...and I can agree wholeheartedly with worse in the heat. I actually don't mind the cold...just need glue and finishes to actually cure. =p     I was curious about shaneymack because he's even more north than me....often a big difference in temps between Chi and StL. =p

I do. It drops the temp a bit but bounces back pretty quickly. If it gets too cold I go inside for 15 minutes. It's worse in the summer because I hate heat. But in trade I don't have to deal with filters and my DC is more efficient. It's a good trade.

Couldn't agree more. I have been drum sanding some resawn cherry today and there isnt a speck of dust in my shop. Rather be a little hot than have a shop full of dust and a filter to clean. That was a serious waste of my life.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mine vents outside, but I have air intakes for my woodstove that obviate the pressure difference/temp drop.

I mounted my 3hp dc in the back room wall and it it blows everything outside in a shed and I remove the sawdust with my tractor....I does work great for what it is but I do crack a window when I use it and it does cost you some heat and cooling...When you plane 500 ft at a time there is no way I can mess with bags...It may sound nuts to some.:unsure:

I mounted my 3hp dc in the back room wall and it it blows everything outside in a shed and I remove the sawdust with my tractor....I does work great for what it is but I do crack a window when I use it and it does cost you some heat and cooling...When you plane 500 ft at a time there is no way I can mess with bags...It may sound nuts to some.:unsure:

planing 500 bf in a day is the crazy thing to me. I doubt my planer has seen 500 bf in the last 2 years.

I buy 500 BF at a time to get a good deal and I always run all of it through the planer taking a small pass on each side so I can see what the wood really looks like and go from there...I don't do this every day  and  there is no sense and not doing  it all at the same time...Not that much fun .

Edited by mat60