Mahogany Door

Coop

Sat., I took out a widow ladies "mahogany" stile, rail and panel door with a leaded glass insert and replaced it with a steel clad door to offer her more security. Nothing for me to do, as the old door was wood, to salvage the thing. Rails and stiles were secured with 5/8's dowels. The only experience I've had with mahogany was recently with the salvage of bits from an old boat. This door is probably 35 - 40 years old. Anyone have knowledge of what might have been used to build this thing? There is no laminate or veneer. I took a hand plane to some of it and it's really a pleasure to work with. Color is a little blah though.

Freshly planed mahogany color is definitely nothing to write home about. Once it is exposed for a bit though, it's gorgeous. How thick are the stiles?

Sorry but I can't help on what it was made from. What I can tell you is those mahogany stiles would make one hell of a speargun body. Feel free to send me one, I'll I'd it for you.