Festool ETS EC 150 Sander

Tom Cancelleri

So I went by woodcraft tonight to check out the ETS EC 150. My first impressions are that it's nice and low and not top heavy at all, however with the plug and vacuum hooked up it doesn't rest on it's pad and is somewhat back heavy. Not a problem when you're actually holding the sander.

In use: They tout that it's got really low vibration, I didn't think it had any more or any less than a standard ETS 150. I will say this, when you shut it off the pad stops immediately, they did a great job with the pad brake. I sanded some hard maple and had both a 150/5 and an ETS EC 150/5 using the same paper. The surface with each sander was the same, no difference there. Is it worth $125 more than the ETS 150, I don't see that being a huge benefit and could probably be money spent on paper. If you're sanding non stop, the lower heat generated by the brushless motor would be worth it, as well as the longevity of the sander motor, though I don't think many sanders die often.

There's a huge difference.... It comes in a Systainer! When you collect enough Systainers you win the game!

In all honesty, the higher end sanders have better dust collection, better motors, finer pad stroke, better warranties, parts availability and various pad types. The Festool sanders, the paper doesn't load up and push around large quantities of dust which generates heat, wears out your paper faster, and pours dust into the air. That's it's biggest appeal to me, that and the surfaces I get after sanding are much smoother than my $55 dewalt sander from home depot.

• Like 2

Oh see now that hurts ... I love my DeWalt!  :)

Maybe I don't know enough to know I'm ignorant about it.  I tried some of them at the WWIA but nothing screamed "BUY ME!!" like it did at the Lie-Nielsen booth.  See, a new low-angle Jack-Plane looks pretty even if I don'tt know how to use it well yet.  :wub:

I imagine DC will begin to get important for me ... we'll see.