Poor man's roubo

Pwalter5110

Well, I headed to Lowe's to pick up some southern yellow pine to build my first "real" workbench. I am going to let it sit in my shop for a while. I bought 2X8s that they claim are kiln dried, but seems pretty heavy and wet. I'm not going to be as fancy as all of you guys. You all have built beautiful benches. Being a mechanic, I have access to a ton of ACME thread and nuts. I am probably going to make my own leg vise hardware. It will be far from as good as the benchcrafted hardware. I will probably buy the criss cross mechanism though from benchcrafted though. I'm not sure how I want to handle my tail vise situation though. I'd really like a twin screw style tail vise. But I might just throw on a quick release vise to use with dog holes.

I was just wondering if you guys had any tips to and tricks on the build. Like I said, I'm not going fancy, I just want something that holds my work pieces. Right now everything gets done on my table saw lol.

5 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Many a fancy bench have been built with SYP.

Do you have the guild build? 

Even if your not going with BC gear,  it's still totally worth watching before starting. 

I have a bunch of the guild builds, but not the roubo workbench. Honestly, the table seems pretty simple. Pegged mortise and tenons. The vises, and workbench top is where things look to get complicated.

If you don't think it's valuable, that's your choice. 

If I saw ten pictures of the bench, I could definately build it. But the finalienable fit and finish proabably wouldn't be as good. Watching the process laid out gives a lot of tips along the way and a logical order of operations.

14 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

If you don't think it's valuable, that's your choice. 

I'm sure that there is a TON of value in the guild build. I have a bunch of guild videos, because Marc is an amazing teacher. The only reason I'm not buying this guild build it because I am leaning more towards a Jay Bates style roubo. If I were using a wagon vise I'd purchase it in a heartbeat. Heck, I seriously only know the little bit about woodworking that I do know because of Marc. I have trouble watching woodworking videos that aren't his. He set the bar to high. I used to watch Paul Marcel, and Rob Bois but neither of them do videos any longer. I keep eyeing up the grandfather clock guild build though. That looks like something I'd love to build.

1 hour ago, vinnyjojo said:

You might want to explore the SYP 2x12's and 2x14's instead. You can bandsaw out the flatsawn bit in the middle.

That's actually a good idea. I already bought enough for the top. Maybe I will use what I have for the base, and get 2X12s for the top to keep it more stable.

1 hour ago, jplemons said:

Jay's Custom Creations just completed a bench like the one you're talking about. 

http://jayscustomcreations.com/2016/01/build-a-woodworking-workbench/

I seen that. Honestly, Seeing that video is what made me realize that I didn't need anything super fancy, just something heavy that would hold work.

If you haven't cut the 2x8's, my recommendation is to take them back to Lowes, and find a place that sells Weyhauser Framer series.    http://www.woodbywy.com/lumber/weyerhaeuser-framer-series-lumber/  Lowes is great about returns.  There are no questions asked.

I've worked my entire adult life with SYP.  Even the framer series stuff will move some, but it's WAY better than the big box store YP.  You still have to pick through the stacks to get straight grain, and no knots.  Take a helper with you, and restack the boards neatly, and they won't mind seeing you coming the next time.

Most of these suppliers will have lumber racks outside that you can drive up to, and are a lot easier to handle the boards than Lowes or Home Depot.  I hate buying lumber in those places.

When I buy such lumber, I take my two helpers, and the trailer if we are getting more than will easily fit on the back of the pickup. We park where it's not more than a couple of steps from the stack.  The trailer gets parked right beside the stack.  When using the truck, it gets parked right beyond the stack so boards can be slid in.

I sit at one end, pick up that end of the board to look at it and sight down the edge.  I lift it up if I want them to take it, and move it sideways if it's a reject, and it gets laid on the ground.  We restack the lumber off the ground when we leave.  When the guys on the yard see me coming, they just wave, and check the load before we pull out of the gate, like they're supposed to.