Dowel maker bench hook (a.k.a. peg hook)

sjk

I like! Thanks for posting. I may have to get one of those. I've been using a simple piece of flat steel that I drilled some various sized holes into. I just place it over a dog hole and pound away - with mixed results! This looks like a cleaner and more reliable method.

16 hours ago, Robby W said:

Nice! I have been thinking about adding a setup like this to my collection of goodies. Thanks for the write-up.

9 hours ago, micks said:

I like! Thanks for posting. I may have to get one of those. I've been using a simple piece of flat steel that I drilled some various sized holes into. I just place it over a dog hole and pound away - with mixed results! This looks like a cleaner and more reliable method.

38 minutes ago, nerdbot said:

Awesome!  I just bought the same dowel maker myself and it arrived this weekend.  I'll definitely have to build this jig as well

Thanks guys - having an easy setup for the sawing, splitting, planing, paring and pounding makes it go much smoother.

4 hours ago, shaneymack said:

This is cool ! You have a photographer with you in the shop taking actions shots? That is awesome. Are you a hand tool only guy? Thats one cute dog, is he a husky?

I'm a mostly power tool guy, but have been adding more hand tools over the years.  To up my game on hand tools I recently enrolled in the Renaissance Woodworker's Hand Tool School.

He's an Alaskan Malamute, they're like huskies, but bigger and more stamina.  He's got a long coat for the breed, which is just perfect for picking up plane shavings to bring back into the house.