Well, I did it!

trialbyfire

So my LN rabbeting block plane came yesterday and I'm out in the shop playing with it. This is my first hand plane and I was able to make a finish ready surface in about 15 min. Had I adjust the iron to make it take a full width shaving and it glides through this maple with relative ease. I'm taking what I think are super thin shavings that are almost transparent. I just can't get the end I'm starting on to be as smooth as the rest. Grain issue maybe? 4341d75bd2f94bac05620d640e8185a7.jpg153b7237c2391f611f0c2edcdc1a2d01.jpg24dd3204a5d15eec8d1a2e45eaa906e5.jpg

This is the end I can get to smooth out514e67ee386279ef0a83cd690314894d.jpga2d6f5a09c8dd15c0736a4f8e5b50189.jpg

Over all I'm happy. Now I just need to keep practicing

• Like 1

Congrats on the new toy..

The issue you're having there is the grain.  Also, you're not using a smoothing plane.  You can try to skew the plane to kind of follow the grain when you get to that section which will reduce some of the roughness but, sanding will be your best option there.

I noticed that I wasn't even taking a shaving over that area after a couple more passes and after several more passes I got the rest of the board on plane with that end. The corner is still SLIGHTLY below but I'm not worried about it. Surprisingly I would finish this edge as is. I don't think the minor tear out would really be noticeable because it's almost nil.

b00d29c86a65a3fc74f674947c8b01c2.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! You should be able to get an even thinner shaving than that. Try backing it off a hair on your last pass. VERY thin shavings are see through and around 1thou - 1.5 thou. And skew it as Kev mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Did you hone it before you put it in your plane?

That grain, looks like an area where a knot was cut out!  The grain is your problem! That, and inexperience. That wasn't meant as rude, just with time, you'll learn how to deal with that, when it comes up again!  And it will!  As Shane said, a slightly thinner cut will assist in that area!

2 hours ago, TIODS said:

sanding will be your best option there.

Sanding will leave a slightly different texture to the finish, unless you're planning on sanding the whole thing a scraper would be a better option where you can't get the grain to behave.

Some nice looking shavings there.

2 minutes ago, h3nry said:

Sanding will leave a slightly different texture to the finish, unless you're planning on sanding the whole thing a scraper would be a better option where you can't get the grain to behave.

Some nice looking shavings there.

Yep..  I stand corrected..  Scraper there would be a good option as well!

Hard maple 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, trialbyfire said:

Skewing the plane definitely helped, thanks for the tip. I got the shavings a little thinner but not fully transparent. Do any of y'all have a picture of how transparent the shavings could/should(?) be?

I did not sharpen the iron the little card in the box said it was "ready to go" and it obviously was but perhaps could use a little sumtin sumtin to get the shavings to be that thin.

A quick honing is all it should need. Are you all set up to sharpen?

Yes I bought diamond plates for my chisels a few months ago and they seem to work well so far. The plates I got are DMT 6" Diamond Whetstone. I have coarse, fine, and extra fine. I also have the MK II jig (both chisels and irons). The only thing I think I'm gonna need to do is make a jig to put the plates in to give me more room to roll the MKII back and forth. I will probably make this out of a composite of sorts so I don't have to worry about the shrinkage or swelling of wood over time

Yes I bought diamond plates for my chisels a few months ago and they seem to work well so far. The plates I got are DMT 6" Diamond Whetstone. I have coarse, fine, and extra fine. I also have the MK II jig (both chisels and irons). The only thing I think I'm gonna need to do is make a jig to put the plates in to give me more room to roll the MKII back and forth. I will probably make this out of a composite of sorts so I don't have to worry about the shrinkage or swelling of wood over time

Sounds like you are well setup. I would add atleast one higher grit waterstone for your final strokes. From what I understand, even the extra fine diamond stone will never get you as sharp as a high grit waterstone. I finish up with a 13000 grit sigma power.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67089&cat=1,43072,67175

I would have to agree, I would like to add another stone to finish with but what I have does the job for now I just have to touch up a little more frequently than if I could go finer. It works just requires a little more work. Probably getting a new table saw before the finer grit stone happens though.

• Like 1

Remember that the blade is always a little proud on one side. If the corner of the blade sticks out a little to far and you don't notice it. You will soon enough :( 

It took me a while to train my brain to not pick it up and use it like a traditional block plane. I now own the L.N. Block plane too. This way I only use the rabbit plane for it's true intended purposes. It's a really useful tool to have. Enjoy :)