Counter sinking bolts

treesner

wondering what counter sink bits or techniques you've had success with. I have the LV tapered bit+counter sink that works well but for larger holes that I need to drill with a normal bit I can't get a good counter sink. With hand drill and drill press it seems to not give a clean counter skink but rather chatters around. Any suggestions?

this is similar to what i have currently tried but get chatter, maybe you have to drill the hole with this first then drill the normal hole? 

https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-16638-Countersink-4-Inch/dp/B00062BEMA/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1476806430&sr=8-33&keywords=countersink

41nwSzDKa0L.jpg

this is what I use for screws that seems to work well:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=40127&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1

50j0420s1.jpg

14 minutes ago, treesner said:

I have a couple of those & they work fairly well. But occasionally they will chatter a little. They seem to loose their edge easily with very hard woods.

found this technique, drilling in reverse.. i've tried slow, fast, by hand so i'll see if this works 

found some tips in a google search

http://woodworking.stackexchange.com/questions/2986/why-is-my-countersink-bit-making-hexagonal-holes

Definitely sharpen the bit if you can manage it as a first step to solving the problem.

Sharpening mine did improve performance, although it wasn't an absolute fix. In use the technique that seemed to help the most for me was to run the drill fast and use light pressure, with a very firm hold on the drill. This worked far more reliably than using low speed and firm pressure.

Another tip I read just the other day that you might like to try: countersink before you drill the clearance hole.

• Use a sharper countersink, which should cut rather than catch
  • Use a countersink with a pilot bit, which will make sure the countersink doesn't wobble once it engages the workpiece.
  • Use a higher speed, which again should cut rather than catch.
  • Clamp the work piece rather than hand holding.
  • Go very slowly, particularly when first engaging the work piece.
  • Don't rely on the bit to self center - make sure you are drilling in the exact center of the hole before the bit engages the wood.

I use this one, made by Festool. Typical Festool, great quality

f05f3c104930d06c8d531e1b0c6bc91f.jpg

990d8db9868e75eea7f8d71cc51b4cd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have the older festool Brad point set that came with a similar countersink and it has the same chatter and clogging issues as everything else.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You're telling me you have that exact countersink and it chatters and clogs? I've never experienced that.....must be my lack of experience ;)

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, treesner said:

maybe this is what I need.. its at least marked toward my needs "chatterless countersink"

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41012&cat=1,180,42240,42281&ap=1

20 hours ago, treesner said:

I have both.  It depends how, when and what you are using it for. On furniture where a clean appearance is foremost, the 'aircraft' style are my go-to.  I use these specifically.  The large one I mostly use in the drill press.  Both types are chatter-free.

• 4 weeks later...