anyone ever install flipper door slides?

Janello

I have a gun cabinet build in my future. I was commissioned to build it with the request for a locking solid wood door construction and a display mode. I was thinking of using glass doors inside flipper doors. I can eliminate the glass doors and just go with solid flipper doors for when the client wants to show off and display his guns, but would rather keep a barrier of glass if that is possible. 

I found this website http://www.closet-masters.com/accuride-flipper-door-slides/ that seems to have just what I need to accomplish this. Anyone have any experience with this hardware? Anyone have any thoughts on glass doors behind the flipper doors....should I incorporate or eliminate them? 

I have carte blanche options for the design. He is leaving it up to me.

15 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I have used the Accuride and KV flipper door slides for years.

Do you think 

A: it's possible to install glass doors behind the solid flippers hinged on the partition?

B: If the anser to A is yes, will it look so unconventional that it will be an eye sore?

13 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

No experience with that hardware. As a possible alternative, have you considered glass doors with a tambour front? Completely different look, I know, but avoids the use of unfamiliar hardware.

I just say no to Tambour. Personal opinion, but I hate the look almost anywhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Janello said:

A: it's possible to install glass doors behind the solid flippers hinged on the partition?

B: If the anser to A is yes, will it look so unconventional that it will be an eye sore?

A. Overlay or inset outer door? I think both would be possible, the inset door would be more involved.

B.  I think it would look very cool.

Are you thinking pocket doors that slide in on the sides or flipper doors that slide in to a pocket at the top ? If the doors are over 36" tall I strongly recommend the Accuride slides with the cables. Tall pocket doors can get racked if the bottom slides in farther than the top. The cables are criss crossed and do a great job of stabilizing the doors when sliding them into the pockets. Read the installation PDF. I remember making the partitions that form the inside walls removable. The doors hang on concealed hinges which mount to a 3/4" wood carrier strip that mounts to the slides.

It would be wise to build a mock up from inexpensive sheet goods, case and door, to understand the mechanics and limitations of the hardware. 

Send me a PM if you have specific questions. This hardware works great but you do have to work within the range of size and lengths of the hardware. The depth of the case in relation to the width of the case is a limitation. The interior depth of the case less the width of the carrier strip that the hinges mount to is the maximum width of 1/2  of the cabinet if you want the pocket doors to slide completely into the case.  I built quite a few pocket door cabinets to house large tube TV sets and projection TV's before the flat screens became common. I even made bi fold doors that fit into a pocket that was sized to fit the hardware, carrier strip and a double folded door .  I used magnets to hold the doors in the folded position when they were slid into the pocket. You have to allow for the handles or knobs to fit into the pocket as well. Do the math and play with a mock up before you cut parts for a complex hardware limited project.

If the outer doors can retract completely into the case the inner glass doors should look fine. If the case is shallow in relationship to the width bi fold doors can save you but you should explore the limitations before you commit to the design & project .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Are you thinking pocket doors that slide in on the sides or flipper doors that slide in to a pocket at the top ?

As you describe, I am after pocket doors. I thought the website I was briefly looking at referred to that style as flipper. Anyway, you just hit me with a wealth of great information that will greatly help me figure all this out. I can't thank you enough Steve...this is awesome stuff. After I chew on all that info I'll get back to you if something is still unclear.