Japanese style cherry platform bed

Anna S

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Really cool project Anna and some pretty fine woodworking skills. The ONLY thing I question are the rails extending out past the legs as far as they do. Have you had any problem with bumping your shins on these? 

Was about to ask the same question. Great work!

I actually built a crude, 9 legged version of this sort of bed when I was in college out of construction lumber, worked quite well, but wasn't classy like yours. Still, these jigsaw puzzles are always fun.

4 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Really cool project Anna and some pretty fine woodworking skills. The ONLY thing I question are the rails extending out past the legs as far as they do. Have you had any problem with bumping your shins on these? 

ran into it one time which was painful, but I learn fast, no problem since.  You can also make them much shorter.  There's no structural reason they need to stick out, I just liked it.

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I like the design! How well is that joint holding up under regular use? Racking of the rail to leg joints is always an issue on a bed frame.

The joint is rock solid because it's about 4 inches deep.    I was expecting some movement, and nothing moves.   The entire rails are actually resting on the flat bottom of the grove I cut out on the router so it's really stable.  There's no hardware that holds the rails to the legs.  When I was setting it up, I did run into problems with the rails bowing out  and allowing the slats to fall through the middle.  I was going to fix that with some pegs that would secure the rail to the slats, and I'm still planning to.  Once I put the mattress on it though, it's a foam mattress and it basically secured the slats from moving in any direction.  Hasn't been a problem since.

3 hours ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Was about to ask the same question. Great work!

I actually built a crude, 9 legged version of this sort of bed when I was in college out of construction lumber, worked quite well, but wasn't classy like yours. Still, these jigsaw puzzles are always fun.

Agreed, I like the when the wood just fits together.  Since these didn't get glued together like a mortise/tenon, it was also a lot more forgiving putting it together.

3 hours ago, K Cooper said:

And a dog with an iPhone that matches the sheets? 

Still haven't been able to teach him to use it though ;)