Help matching a finish...

jahill5

Hey Guys,

I have a kitchen remodel under way, and I'm trying to match a finish. Of course this is complicated, which is why I'm tossing this out to you guys. I have attached a couple photos of the finish on a buffet sideboard. I am trying to put a finish on some cherry cabinets, and am trying to match the style to the buffet as possible.The existing stain seems to be semi-transparent.  I've never had to match something existing before, so any help or suggestions as to what the existing finish may be, will get me started (and will be much appreciated). The color is going to be similar, but not exact. I attached a third photo of the color chip (it's a viking range color).  Any ideas on what sort of product to use to achieve that color will also be appreciated.

Joshua

2017-01-03 Red 1.jpg

2017-01-03 Red 2.jpg

2017-01-24 Red 3.jpg

looks like a job for dye to me, google Transtint wood dye, Bordeaux, Bright Red and Red Mahogany look close to me. you can use your preferred finish on top, varnish, lacquer ect. and welcome to the forum and let us know how it turns out.

be sure to practice on some test pieces first to see how the dye looks on the cherry.

The one thing I might add to what Dave has said already is that you need to be aware of you clear finish.  If you use something like varnish it will yellow your tint a little.  If you use a water bourne finish like General Finishes High Performance it won't change your color tint much at all.

• Like 1