Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pulled the trigger....

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My name is Jason, and I'm in the USAF, stationed in Colorado Springs, CO. Married, 2 dogs, and a 2.5 month old son.

A few months ago I started a woodworking project. It took several weeks for me to finish, but I got it done and it looks great.

Shortly thereafter, I found TWW on Itunes, and slowly proceeded to watch almost every every episode while saving for my next project. =) Just kidding. I blew all that money on tools!

So today, after about 4 months of debate, I joined The Guild. I'm by no means ready to build a workbench yet....my solid core door bench from Craigslist works great for now. I mainly joined the guild to support TWW, and gain access to even more videos and instruction.

So Marc, thanks for all the great content (and congrats on the soon to be new addition), you've been an inspiration, and I love the way that you teach. It makes the learning curve of this daunting hobby that I have chosen a little less steep.

-Jason

Posted · Report post

I recently joined the Guild and am working on shop jigs and an extension table and outfeed table for the table saw. Still working on getting things square. :wacko: Also working on replicating the TWW dado jig.

Posted · Report post

Hello Jason,

Welcome to the Guild. You'll learn alot! And most importantly - Thank you for your service to our great country!

lighthearted likes this

Posted · Report post

Welcome Jason,

Welcome to the Guild. What's great about the Guild is that no matter what your skill level is there is always something to learn.

Posted · Report post

Welcome Jason, I also served in the AF. Are the chow halls still the best?

Posted · Report post

Yes indeed, welcome! And thanks for your service. The upcoming Roubo build is going to be a beast! I hope you enjoy it. :)

Posted · Report post

Yes Air Force chow is still the best.

I am an Army guy myself, love being a Solider but sometimes wonder why I didnt choose a different service.....

Welcome to the guild. I think that you will find a good, heavy workbench is just as important as a tablesaw. If I were you I would consider joining in on the build.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the welcomes and for those who thanked me for my service, thank you, because I couldn't do it without folks like you.

Most of my time/energy/money lately has been spent acquiring and repairing tools.

Southwood, our chow-halls are awesome. I don't eat there often, but when I do, I never regret it.

I'm undecided whether or not I will try the Roubo right now. I honestly don't think that I need it, so it's hard for me to plop down the cash for the wood/components. I've got almost a full complement of power tools, but no planes, a few chisels, and no hand saws, I can't see why I'd need it....right now. I'm looking forward to watching the progress, and in a couple of months I may change my mind, but till then, I think I'll work on some existing projects, make the wife happy, and ponder how I'd move a Roubo out of my basement when I move again. =)

Posted · Report post

Jason,

thank you for serving. 11 year Vet myself, It can be challenging on the fixed income to do some of these projects. Does MWR has a shop there? It can give you access to some other woodworkers with same passion, sometimes you can find material and some deals they might have and also some pretty nice machines to work with. Hope that helps!

Posted · Report post

Welcome and thank you for your service!

Posted · Report post

lemonjello,

Thank you for your service! Yes, there is a shop on base here, but I have most of the tools that I need. The only thing I'm lacking as far as power tools are concerned is a drill press, and a drum sander (wouldn't that be nice!) I'm good friends with the shop manager, and he's great to bounce ideas off of now and then. I only acquired my own tools because of the limited hours of the shop on base.