Hi... Sly is my english name.

Sylvain Ward

Yeah .. i'm french.

My real name is Sylvain but it's so ugly in English ... just call me Sly.

First, I want to apologize in advance if if I write weird stuff that doesn't make sense.

I'm a canadian living in Moncton, New-Brunswick and i'm a Actor. So why woodworking?

Well I'm also a scenographer because I was good with tools and there's not a lot of scenographer around. (I design and build sets for theatrical plays )

I've used all kind of material to make crazy stuff like a 35' losbter made of poly pipes, but my favorite material is wood so I wanted to learn more on the subject.

I've watched all of your video podcast Mark and that's it ... I also wanna be a woodworker. I taught I knew the basic since i was already playing with tools and wood but ... wow, I was wrong! So, now, I place myself in the Noob category.

I was wondering if there's a lot of french woodwokers on the forum? It would be nice too be able too ask them questions in my first language.

Thanks!

Sly.

welcome to the forum always good to have someone new to add to the crazy and obsesive. ya there is a big difference from normal wood working like house carpentry and find wood working like building furniture. the physics and the material are the same but the dedication and quality differ greatly between the two. i have seen a few people who build props and stages for a living on here and always glad to see more since they usualy work with odd combinations of materials and they have a different outlook on how something can be made.

Bienvenue Sly! Unfortunately my high school French is a wee bit rusty. Make sure you also check out http://www.copaindescopeaux.fr/ for a great woodworking site in French. From what I can tell there is a vibrant community there and french is the first language.

Thanks for the info.

"Copains des copeaux" is a really corny name but he's now on my bookmarks list.

It's nice to have an european point of view on woodworking and he has a lot of good ideas for new woodworker with a limited set of tools.