THE Nitty Gritty

wdkits1

Hi Everyone

OK, that might seem like a strange title for a work in progress but I think after you see this project you"ll understand the reason. I've been doing Intarsia for a long time and pride myself in putting lots of detail into my pieces by using only natural colored wood, detail carving and using lots of itty bitty pieces to add as much realism as I can to my work.

Last week I was asked to make some custom Beer Tap Handles for a guy here in town that has his own home brewery. He sent me a photo of the logo that he has and asked if I could carve or etch the logo onto the handle somehow.

Picture of logo

RabidOtterBreweryLogo.jpg

Don't do much carving or etching I said but I do Intarsia which is a unique type of woodworking that might be something you'd like to see. Invited him to the shop to see some of my work. We discussed pricing, woods, sizes and I was given the go-ahead to get em done as an intarsia. Talk about a challenge!!! Like I said, I like working with small pieces but I gotta tell you , I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this project.

Just to give an idea of the size of these things, the total width of the logo is 4 1/4" so keeping the scale correct means that the inlay has to be contained in a 3 " circle. So the letters are less than 1/4" tall. I've cut some pretty small pieces before but to cut and fit letters this small and inlay them into a background--well that's just getting down to the nitty gritty part of this type of work.

That little black spec is the letter "E"

RabidOtter005.jpg

So after a little trial and error (lots of each) and learning a few new cutting and sanding techniques here is the first of 4 Rabid Otter logo's. Still have to turn the handle and glue everything in but I do like a challenge.

RabidOtter008.jpg

Mike

"why buy it if you can build it"

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys

I worked on the handle this weekend and it met with the owners approval so will now continue on the next three tap handles.

I wont glue anything together until all 4 handles are complete to insure that everything is the same for a matched set. Plus now i get to build the pedestal that the taps are attached to. This just gets better and better.

To mds2-- all the cuts were made with the scrollsaw using a 2/0 reverse tooth blade.

RabidOtter012.jpg

Wow, that is incredible work.

I am very intrigued as to how on earth you hold the pieces whilst working on the scroll saw? Tweezers? That must be bloody hard.

You must have the patience of a saint!

What kinds of woods did you use? Did you stain any of them or was it all natural? How long did they take to make?

Very inspiring stuff. :D

Thanks guys

To Howtoworkwood--I have found that working with small pieces such as these is best done just using my finger tips. I do wear a pair of 2 power jewelers lenses to see everything up close and I hold the small pieces using my fingernails. I print my patterns on self adhesive label paper and adhere the sections to the wood. No stains were used. About 5 hours each

RabidOtter002.jpg?t=1346534356

Woods used--Frame-antique mahogany

Background- lacewood

letters,nose, eye pupils -ebony

body-Peruvian walnut

chest ,lower jaw and bottle label- cherry

foam and eyes-holly

lips-bloodwood

bottle- lignum vitae

wheat-yellowheart

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...