Restoring old woodwork

andrew11

Hey guys,

First post here. Have a English Cottage Style house built in 1927 here in New England. Looking to restore the old woodwork in my upstairs hallway/staircase. I think it's stained in a dark walnut, not sure what type of wood it is, and I would assume it has a shellac finish. It's in pretty good shape but is pretty dull, has paint splatters, and could use a good cleaning. Few questions.

Anyone have a guess what type of wood it is?

Would the finish most likely be shellac? Was that common in this period?

What is the best way to clean it and maybe bring back some of its luster?

Should I apply a new finish coat?

Thanks guys! Really like the forum so far. Lots of good info in here.

Edit. For some reason my pics are upside down on my iPhone, but looks correct on my computer. Not sure what other people see?

photo18-2_zps4aaa67dc.jpg

photo19-2_zps088a075b.jpg

Andrew, welcome to the forum. Is it possible for you to get some close-ups of the wood. To me it looks like two different woods, but there isn't enough grain detail to see for sure. The floors look like heart pine and the moldings look like red oak, but I couldn't be certain without seeing a clearer picture. Try to get close-ups of the stair rail as well as the trim.

Here's an example that provides guidance on appropriate millwork for the style and period of your home.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=59444&cat=1,46096,46105

If you do a bit of looking, you will find books dealing with interior decorating of and for that period as well.

I think you will find that there is a distinct style with specific cues, but also some regional variations based on materials available, date within the period, budget of buyer etc.

Since a lot of these homes were built in clusters.. early forms of subdivisions, you may find lots of your neighbors homes are very similar to yours using similar, if not identical features. If that is the case and some appear to be original and very well maintained, perhaps you can approach the owner for a fact-finding tour. This would quite likely answer some of your questions and also see how their home has been adapted over the years.

Since a lot of these homes were built in clusters.. early forms of subdivisions, you may find lots of your neighbors homes are very similar to yours using similar, if not identical features.

I don't think this would apply to my house. My street only has 11 houses on it and all of them are different styles. The interior of the houses might all be similair products used, but the styles are defintely different. Thanks for that link though. I'm going to look into that.

As for the other replies...

The floors and stairs have already been refinished when I first moved in 3 years ago. The stairs are pine (not sure about risers) and the floors are white oak. I am just looking to restore the dark wood trim and the hand rails. I painted the spindles already and from how long that took alone, I can't even imagine stripping them down and refinishing them.

I will take some close up pics tonight when I get home. Hopefully the grain will show up.

I will try the restore a finish and see how it goes. What type of finish do you think I have? Shellac? Varnish?

Also - how did they get my woodwork to be so evenly dark? I feel when I try to stain wood it never looks that even. Guess because I am not a professional! haha

Also - what color wood you say my woodwork is? Dark Walnut?

alot of woods like pine, mahogany, cedar......softer more common woods tend to have harder and softer areas. soft areas suck up more stain then harder areas so you end up with patchy staining. try puting a sanding sealer or stain sealer on first to even out the wood then you can stain. alot of people swear by thin shellack on the wood first and then stain.

I will try the restore a finish and see how it goes. What type of finish do you think I have? Shellac? Varnish?

Also - what color wood you say my woodwork is? Dark Walnut?

If your just doing touch up Id just take a piece in and have it matched. Any cabinet shop should be able to color match your stain.

Don

Sanding sealer is a modified form of finish. It is made to dry fast and sand easy. Stain sealer is usually shellac which is used to prevent something from bleeding through a finish. Stain conditioner is used on woods that do not stain evenly, it prevents blotching .

If you look around there are instructions on how to test and see what your finish is. If denatured alcohol dissolves the finish then it is shellac. I don't remember the steps past that one.

Is it possible that the upstairs hall woodwork has been restored or replaced and the woodwork in the other pics not, which would account for the different colours?

The top coat finish looks to be original in the later-posted pics, a varnish that has suffered a lot of crazing. If the upstairs hall trim doesn't have the same crazing, that will suggest it's refinished or not original.

And to follow up on the manufacturer's difference, I have two small cans of finish. One from Minwax, one from Olympic. (small project, small cans.) Both are labelled "Dark Walnut." Neither is the same shade. I'd imagine that this discrepancy goes all the way up, in the more expensive or professional finishes.

M L Campbell has all the Minwax colors in their WoodSong line of professional stains, both companies are owned by the same corporation. I think it is Sherwin Williams parent company. My supplier also does custom color matches in the WoodSong stain. I take them a section of the wood to be stained that is already sanded and a piece of the finished wood to be matched. You might have to wait a day or 2 and there is a charge for the service on top of the stain cost.