Portlandia salutations

Toejam

Hello from Portland OR!

I've been meaning to join this forum for a while as I have no woodworking mentors or peers in this part of the country.

I started wood working when I was an intern at Yestermorrow design/build school back in '05: http://www.yestermorrow.org

Then I got a job building wheelchair accessible treehouses: http://www.treehouses.org

That job took me all over the country and was AMAZING!

Then I grew up, got a lady, got a baby and a pick up truck... Whoops thought I was writing a country song. 

Anyway, I did settle down and with a young family and career change, woodworking downgraded a bit to hobby status.

Like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to being a part of Woodtalk to reconnect with the woodworking community. Almost all my experience was based in Vermont so out here in Oregon I'm starting over.

Thanks,
Christian 

Christian, you should be able to find a guild or two in your area.  I get down for my job fairly often.  Oh, and you the Northwest Woodworking Studio owned by Gary Rogowski.  Very COOL!  He gets some great classes there.  You have crosscut lumber for exotics. If you find another great source, please let me know.  My local sawyer has a great selection of domestically grown hardwoods, but I usually pick up some lumber when I in PDX.

Christian, you should be able to find a guild or two in your area.  I get down for my job fairly often.  Oh, and you the Northwest Woodworking Studio owned by Gary Rogowski.  Very COOL!  He gets some great classes there.  You have crosscut lumber for exotics. If you find another great source, please let me know.  My local sawyer has a great selection of domestically grown hardwoods, but I usually pick up some lumber when I in PDX.

This is awesome! Thanks so much for the info... very helpful!

forgot the dog in your country song :)

your not completly starting over you still have the expierence and and knowldge from years back you just have to dust off the parts of your brain that you learned that stuff in.  have fun recalling all that you learned and restarting what your found amazing back in 05.

Hi Toejam

Welcome along. I'm am interested about yestermorrow. How long were you there for?

I was an intern for about 6 months and then worked/volunteered over the years. Most of my employment revolved around the Yestermorrow community. They are huge both in scope of classes and in campus since I was there but the leadership is still the same and still awesome.