Draconacae Draconus Acerphyla The Maple Leaf Dragon

Dragonart

I mostly wanted to show Mark  what 2 videos did for me.  

I had always wanted to do stuff like that but never got much instruction.  As with most things I end up figuring it out on my own.   Its an alright way to learn, but for me, it takes so... darned.... looooonnnngggg.

So i bought a router bit and collar from Rockler.  The process was.. use a template with the collar on the bit.. and cut out an inlay piece.   Then remove the collar, and use the template to cut the mortise for the piece.   Should be a perfect fit, right?  

Well, I made the inlay first.   Then used it to make a template,  and used the template to make the mortise.   I made the inlay from wedges of oak glued together to make a fan/ half moon.   then sliced it on the band saw.   (this was before i saw the Video.)  got 2 good slices but the 3rd was sorta messed up, but it could be made to work.   Since they went on the apron of a piano bench,  I only put them on 3 sides.. the side facing the piano would not have any.  

Then... I found "The Wood Whisperer"!!   I watched the video about tuning a band saw and doing a freehand inlay.   Cha=Boing!!!  I made another half moon inlay and got 3 good slices out of it.   Put another half-moon inlay on the 4th apron of the bench, and a full moon on the top. 

Since then I have made an adjustable piano bench with ivy leaves in a 3d inlay on top and flush on the ends.   Did grapes on an entry bench for our daughter.

The bench is where it started.   The Dragon is where I am now.  The dragon body is  purple heart,

with black walnut horn, eye, and tail tip.  The wings are maple leaves.  I wish i had picked a whole basket of leaves when I found them.

I don't want to fill up this site with all my pictures.. but here are a few.  If its ok,  let me know and i will tell you how to see more of my stuff on facebook.

Thank you for your time and comments.

Mark Myers

Dragonwerks Woodworking.

post-13807-0-58459300-1365117977_thumb.j

post-13807-0-94788100-1365118009_thumb.j

post-13807-0-48608100-1365118065_thumb.j

post-13807-0-54066600-1365118136_thumb.j

post-13807-0-83221900-1365118277_thumb.j

the leaves i picked last fall.   been in a leaf press the kids used in school.  made from phone books and plywood.   just finished the box a few days ago.   The finish is Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze from Walmart.    I don't know if the color will hold or not.

I applied the leaves with CA glue.   Next time I will use some (carefully) thinned wood glue.   Why?  just a feeling it will be better.. for now.    After I try the leaf thing again I'll try to post and let you know what I find

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Mark Said

"I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but I want to remind folks that this particular part of the forum is intended for critiques. There's nothing wrong with the usual "atta boy" style comments in general. But in this area, the idea is for us to actually critique the work. That's why it's a sort of "post at your own risk" kinda place. That isn't to say I want people to be mean, rather, I hope we are able to provide thoughtful critiques and feedback instead of just pats on the back. Know what I'm sayin'? 

That might explain why I haven't posted any of my stuff here.  :)"

I found this advice really hard to to take on board as any job posted here is someones baby. 

Dragonart these look very well made pieces. The only thing I would of like to see is some better photos. Just so we can enjoy the work better. (I hated saying that please don't be offended :unsure: )

Looks nice.

For my critique; (because that's where you posted)

Why do your dragons only have 3 legs?

Some hot sand shading (or whatever it's called) would really take it to the next level.

I'm not to crazy about the raised look. It's kind of an inlay/intarsia hybrid.

I'd like to see a flush inlay with some shading. I think that would blow your current stuff away.

Just some constructive criticism.

I'm sure Marc would agree - don't equate "critique" with negative.  I think he just means to post responses with more substance than "atta boys."  

"I like your choice of materials and that finish really makes the color pop." vs. "Looks nice."